Weekend Update: Chemo Angels

Since many of you had questions about Chemo Angels when I blogged about it in September, I thought I would update you on how my experience went as a Card Angel.

My tenure began in early September when I was accepted into the program. It only took a few days for me to receive an assignment by email. I was given the patient's name, address, birthday and current age, along with a list of her favorite things such as color, candy, animal, music, and hobbies. It also told me the name and age of her daughter and what she liked to do. I was given the choice whether to accept this person or remain on the waiting list for another. I can't imagine why you'd reject someone? I accepted and sent out my first card right away.

After the first card, I received an email from the administrators that my patient had heard from me and that she had a specific prayer request. (I don't think this is common.) I continued sending her cards and notes about every 5 days. I went to various dollar stores to buy about a dozen cards at a time, hoping for some variety. Here's a sample:



At Halloween, I sent her a package with her favorite box of candy. About a week later, I received a thank you card in the mail from her. That was the only time that I heard from her directly. Once a month, she was asked to check in to the administrative site and give an update on her treatment and to confirm that she was hearing from her Chemo Angel once a week or more and if she was happy with her Chemo Angel. If I wanted, I could request a patient update once a month, which I did a few times.

In early December, I purchased about a dozen small gifts for my patient and her daughter. Things like socks, paper holiday napkins, specialty soaps, and tea. I wrapped each gift individually and put their names on them and then sent the box of goodies. Right before Christmas, I received a package from Hallmark. As I had ordered a lot of Christmas gifts online, I thought it might have been a toy for one of my grandkids because Amazon purchases can come from other retailers. I opened up the box to find this:


I was confused because it was not something I had ordered. I looked in the box for a card or receipt and there was nothing. Then it dawned on me that it was an angel, so must have been a gift from my patient! LOL, I can be slow sometimes. What an appropriate and thoughtful gift!

Last week, I received an email from administration that my patient had completed her treatment and that she had graduated from the Chemo Angel program. I sent her one more card because her birthday is coming up and I wanted the chance to say goodbye and wish her the best.

I had the option to become a returning angel immediately, but I decided against it because I needed a breather after 5 months of participation. While it was during a busy time of the year, the number of holidays made it easy for me to find things to write about. However, I will admit, it was difficult to keep up the one-way communication and stop myself from asking questions that would never be answered. Overall, I'm glad I became a Chemo Angel and when I see my Thank You Angel, I will always think of my patient.

** Special thanks to my Blogger friend, Betty, for introducing me to the program**


Comments

  1. What a thoughtful thing to do. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it brightened her day during a difficult time.

      Delete
  2. OMG, when I got to your last photograph of the angel your patient sent you for Christmas, it literally brought tears to my eyes. What a thoughtful gesture! And what a thoughtful gesture on your part too. Yes, I'm sure it was challenging not only keeping up the one-communication, but also not being able to ask certain questions out of genuine concern on how she was doing. I was so happy to read that you got an email from the administration to say that she had completed her treatment. I'm sure were both happy and relieved.

    "Overall, I'm glad I became a Chemo Angel and when I see my Thank You Angel, I will always think of my patient."

    (((((((((((((((( You ))))))))))))))))

    You're a sweetheart, and I'm so proud to know you!

    X

    P.S. don't ya' just love the dollar store? you can find so many great things there, at a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so touched by the gift. Completely unexpected. I do love the dollar store. It's a great place for paper party supplies and craft materials like silk flowers and glass beads. Thanks for your support as always!

      Delete
  3. Great thing to do indeed. One way communication must be challenging but at least you know it was appreciated.

    It probably would take many people to clue in to the angel with no card or nothing at that time of year, as we all order a bunch of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt sort of dumb because it took me 5-10 minutes to figure it out. Not sure why it didn't say gift or have some sort of paperwork in the box.

      Delete
  4. You had to be a gift from God for this women. Man that is hard to do - and you did it. My friend's husband is going through it now - and it is as hard on her as him. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I received the prayer request email from administration, I felt a connection to her, which really motivated me. I bet you are a comfort to your friend as well!

      Delete
  5. What a great program! I'm so glad you participated and shared about it with us. I never knew such a thing even existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning about new things from fellow bloggers!

      Delete
  6. A perfect and well deserved thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome :) I'm glad to hear that your patient graduated from the program! I wish her the best of luck in the future! That is interesting about the special prayer request; I haven't heard of that and didn't experience it with my current assignment. You did great with what you did for Christmas with the gifts for both your patient and her daughter! I was going to do something like that for the 24 days leading up to Christmas but didn't get my act together. What a sweet gift of the angel to you! I'm sure you'll always look at it fondly and remember the special connection you had with her! I did get a Christmas card from my patient, thanking me for all my efforts. She's not doing well and I do not believe she will be graduating from the program with being done with her treatment in a positive way. Her latest update from administration was she was having to decide what course to take her treatment. I've been angeling her for close to a year and you are right, the one sided communication can be difficult at times. I've decided after this assignment to either take a break or "just" be a card angel. I am like you; I would go to the dollar store and get all the cards I could at the time (often about 20, some were 2 for a dollar) and then use them over the weeks ahead. I think I might have duplicated a few cards, LOL, but I did tell her in one of my letters that I bought in bulk and wasn't sure if I had already sent some of the same cards and if I did that the sentiment was the same as the first time I sent the card.

    Good for you for doing this :) I know it was a blessing for both you and her!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, Betty, that is rough news about your person. I will say a prayer for her. Kudos to you for keeping up with the gift giving for a year. I can't imagine what you are finding to send! Thanks again for the info and idea.

      Delete
  8. I had never heard of this program but it must be a great comfort to the patients. What a lovely thing to do for someone when they most need to know people care about them. I have to brag though - the minute I got to the angel at the end I knew who'd sent it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I think if it hadn't been so close to Christmas, I would have known right away, too. Glad to see you again!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your very interesting description of what Chemo Angels is all about. It is a worthwhile cause, which obviously involves a lot of commitment.
    I'm extremely impressed with all the thoughtfulness, dedication, and love that you put into it.
    Your kindness will be repaid.
    And you're definitely an angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. It's a worthwhile organization for sure. I'm always
      looking for volunteer opportunities that I can do on my own time and this fit the bill.

      Delete
  10. What a great program! Is she not supposed to respond, or did she choose not to? I can see how a one way conversation could be difficult. The patient may get more out of it if they are able to confide in their "angel" and use it as an outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can respond, but the website says to not expect a response and that most don't and do not need the pressure of having to respond because chemo is so exhausting. Angels are to not contact patients on social media, either. Correspondence is supposed to be only positive and cheerful through US Mail. I'm sure there are legal issues behind the rules!

      Delete
  11. Oh, Bijoux, what a lovely thing to do! I am so proud to call you my friend. You should be very proud of that Thank You Angel because you certainly earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, as always, Rob. It's a nice reminder to say a prayer for her as well.

      Delete
  12. That was very worthwhile thing to do, and I imagine the patient really appreciated all the gifts and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a cancer survivor myself, I thank you too! - Even tho you made me cry... - The kindness of strangers is like a warm blanket when you're sitting in that cold chemo chair trying to put on that brave face for family and friends. Your cards and gifts meant so much to that woman... Her gift to you was absolutely from the bottom of her heart. I know... You are an angel. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Mimi, thank you for your kind words. It's nice to hear from a cancer survivor and know that it was a comforting act, even though I was a stranger.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a wonderful first round! I don't know if you know this, but the chemo angel recipients are specifically told NOT to turn it into a correspondence. It's too bad, because if I were on the other end of it, I'd want to know how the person was doing. I love that you included little gifts. Those were super meaningful to me during chemo.

      Delete
    3. No, I didn't know that. I thought I remember reading on the sign up area of the site that it was up to the recipient whether to correspond or not. But I do understand not having the time or effort to respond at all. I was happy to do it.

      Delete
  14. Wow! That is awesome that she sent you the angel, and even more wonderful that she graduated the program. It sounds like her treatment was successful.

    You're really good at finding cards, too. I sometimes struggle to find ones that aren't occasion specific, and that seem appropriate. I've been to one dollar store, but I need to check some of the others.

    The only reason I could think of to reject an assignment would be if you felt like you just didn't have enough common interests to keep up a one sided conversation for a long time, or had some reason to think you wouldn't be a good fit for them.

    I'm so glad you, and Betty, shared your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such great news to find out she was done with treatments. We have a lot of dollar stores around, so I was able to find appropriate cards. Some were just blank inside.

      Delete
    2. I just got an email this morning that my buddy has been removed from the program due to not checking in for two months. I feel terrible that I have to stop sending her cards. In a few of her updates she talked about how much she liked getting the cards because she felt like she has been sick for so long that she lost her friends because they just got tired of dealing with her cancer and moved on. I'm thinking about sending her kind of a goodbye card, just so she knows that I've been told she was removed, and not that I just stopped. I know you haven't been in the program super long, but what do you think about that?

      Delete
    3. I think you should definitely send a goodbye card and tell her why. When I received the email that mine had graduated from the program, it seemed abrupt. I sent admin an email asking if it was ok if I sent her a birthday card for her birthday coming up and they said absolutely so that I could have the chance to say goodbye. That is sad that she's not checking in; maybe she's too sick? Seems a shame to have to stop, but I understand they need to have policies in place.

      Delete

Post a Comment