Photo Friday: Focus On Food

I don't know about you, but the focus here has been on food during the pandemic, because you've got to look forward to something! Here are some food photos that I've taken over the last month:

In June, my daughter and I went strawberry picking. Last week, it was blueberries. We picked 6 pounds. Due to Covid, the farm asked that you bring your own buckets. The best thing I could find here were some old Halloween pails. They turned out to be the perfect size.

My favorite thing to make with any fruit is pie. I can't say this is the prettiest pie I've ever made, but it was full of blueberries, so let's just say it was healthy.

My daughter found this recipe on Pinterest and wanted to try it. It was called a Blueberry Cheesecake Crumb Cake. For all the work that it was, I thought it wasn't that great and wouldn't make it again.

Does anyone recognize this fruit? It is called Durian and is notoriously known for its distinct pungent odor. It is banned on airlines and various places where it grows in Southeast Asia. I've been fascinated with it ever since learning about it on cooking shows like Top Chef. My daughter-in-law loves it and said it was a treat for her "like ice cream" when she was in college in Hong Kong. She and my son brought one for us to try when they visited a few weeks ago. They bought it at Jungle Jim's (maybe Chatty Crone has been there?)

This is what it looks like when you cut it open. The red thing is an oven mitt, because those spiny things are sharp! My DIL said that this was a small durian, so it did not have much fruit inside. While it definitely did not smell good, it was not the horror show that I've read about online. One story said that they stored one in their hotel fridge and the hotel charged them for the fridge because it had to be thrown away later. To me, it smelled like penicillin. Not appetizing, but not something that would make you run screaming.

It looks nasty, doesn't it? There was not a lot to it because most of it was the pit. It had the consistency of avocado and to me, it tasted like sweet garlic. My son had it when he was in China last year, baked into a cheesecake-like pie, and he thought it was good. I'm still cracking up that my DIL compared it to ice cream. Nope!

Another Covid pastime has been for us to do blind beer tastings. My son brought these over on their visit. I'm usually pretty good with guessing what flavor is involved. When I tasted the Vanilla Whip Milk Stout, I immediately said it tasted like a vanilla milkshake. It was delicious.

Last week, I met some friends at a winery to social distance with a glass of wine. We drove separately and packed our own lunches. There were only 3 other people on the whole property. In the distance, you can see the reservoir that we walked to afterwards.

Here's the winery.

View of the winery from the reservoir. It was really nice to do something with friends again. 

Comments

  1. Yes, same here, I've been focusing a lot on food during the pandemic. But I'll tell you, it's been interesting because I've been trying new foods (and recipes) and really enjoying them.

    OMG...I love blueberrys! That pie you made looks deeelicious! And that crumb cake looks like it was professionally made.

    Never heard of or seen a Durian before. When I first looked at the photo I thought it was some kind of hard shell fish. And yes, that picture looks nasty. It looks like insect larva. Ewwwwwwww! No thank you, I think I'll pass on that. LOL!

    You photos of the winery are just beautiful. I bet it felt wonderful to get out there in that wide open space with your friends, while sipping delicious wine!

    Have a super weekend, my friend. We finally got a little break in the heat because it rained. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love trying new recipes, too. My family knows that if I make something and think it was either too much work or tasted ‘just okay,’ then they will never be having it again. There are just too many other recipes to try to settle for mediocre food!

      Aren’t blueberries the best? And one of the very best foods for you. Good news is that durian isn’t that good for you: 32 grams of fat. Even with it being a “good fat,” I won’t hurry out to get more. Enjoy this cool down!

      Delete
  2. That Durian looks like a blowfish. If you prepare it wrong, will you die? ;) (LOL @ Ron and 'insect larva'. . . nailed it!)

    We found a place locally that sells paw paw fruit in season. I've always wanted to try that. . .

    Jenn loves to pick blueberries and raspberries (strawberries involve too much bending over. . .)

    Blueberry Crumb cheesecake. . . Mmmmmmmm (drooling out the side of my mouth. . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it looked like an organ. Very gross! How are paw paws? I’ve not tried one. My son and his wife were vacationing in the Upper Peninsula this week and tried thimbleberry jam. That was a new fruit to me. With strawberry picking, I basically just sit down.

      Delete
    2. Paw paws have a mild flavor, sort of a combination of pear and banana. The flesh is pulpy, sort of like a mushy apple. But they spoil quickly, so you've got to eat them right away. . .

      Delete
    3. I’m going to have to try it!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of that stinky fruit. When we were in St. Lucia, I asked to try it out of curiosity but they didn't have it. After your description of the consistency and taste, I don't think I'm curious anymore. LOL It doesn't sound like a fruit at all. It sounds like something that should have remained a giant prickly thing that no one would ever want to break open to eat... haha The blueberries on the other hand look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love avocados, so the consistency didn’t bother me. But the taste of sweet garlic as a fruit or something to eat by itself was quite off-putting for me.

      The blueberries were great! Nice and sweet!

      Delete
  4. I have only just heard about durian this year. I have an Instagram friend from Singapore that posts about it a lot lately. I figured it was tasty with how often she talks about it, but after your description, I don't think it's something I ever want to try.

    We went to our organic blueberry farm last Friday and picked 6 pounds before it got too hot to do more. I was thinking of baking a pie and those scones you shared with me yesterday this weekend. Too bad the cheesecake turned out horrible :(

    The milkshake beer is something I could totally get behind. I usually only drink Reds Apple or Blueberry Ale, but I'm always up for trying new flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people in Asia tend to be more adventurous about food. They are used to umami flavors more than we are. I’ll try anything in the fruit or veggie department. That’s funny that we both picked 6 pounds (was it two of you?) It was brutally hot when we went. The VanillaWhip IPA was Southern Tier. We have one here and their beers are fabulous. Another beer I tried this summer was Hell or High Watermelon by 21st Amendment Brewery. So refreshing!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was 2 of us! My daughter and I went and will probably try going one more time before they close for the season in a few weeks. My friend went with her daughter and they picked 24 pounds. That's A LOT of blueberries!

      My hubs loves trying all new IPAs, so I need to tell him to look out for that one. I just sent him a text to grab me a can if he sees one when he's out.

      Delete
  5. I've heard all about "stinky" durians but I've never seen any on sale and never eaten one. I suspect I would prefer the blueberries. We get loads of blackberries growing round here in late summer, which we pick to make a blackberry pie.

    It sure is good to be getting out and about a bit more. Restaurants and coffee shops (and bookshops) are open again. I was starting to get a touch of cabin fever, always stuck at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blackberries and all raspberries. Unfortunately, the few places that do upick are not doing it this year. I’m glad you are finally able to get out again, too.

      Delete
  6. Jungle Jim's - no we don't have one here - lol. In that bowl it looked like a caterpillar to me. I don't think I could eat it. Now give me some of that blueberry pie and crumb cake - that is up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Jungle Jim’s outside of Cincy, so I thought maybe you’d been there while visiting. I’ve not been, but hope to some day.

      Delete
  7. I'm all for wine and beer tastings, but I'm not sure I'd like a beer that tastes like milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these unusual flavors are not what I’d want a full mug of, but a few ounces to taste is good.

      Delete
  8. I asked my kids how long six pounds of blueberries would last in their presence and they said an hour. My kiddos love their fruit. That's a good idea to go out and pick some fruit during these socially-distant times. The blueberry cheesecake looks awesome. Never heard of the durian and it doesn't sound like I need to meet it anytime soon. Glad to hear that you got to spend some time with your friends. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any orchards near you, its nice to go picking. Peach season will soon be here! I bet you’ll read something else about durian soon. It seems like once I hear about something new, I start seeing it all over.I'm sure there’s a name for that phenomenon.

      Delete
    2. You are right about that phenomenon. It is like when you buy a car and then you notice that make and model a lot more. I had to look it up and it is called the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

      Delete
  9. Yum on the blueberries. It's my son's favorite pie. Never heard of Durian but I think i will pass on it. Social distancing at a winery is the way to go I do believe!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to a winery soon,I hope you post about it. Hope your new job is going well.

      Delete
  10. mmm your blueberry pie looks delicious. I planted a blueberry bush a few years ago, we had a few fruits from it the first year, but I then it died. I won't be trying a durian, I think Ron was spot on with the description :-) I weighed myself last week, I have gained half a stone over lockdown! It is so nice to be able to get out and meet friends. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a shame about the blueberry bush. I think the deer would eat one if we planted it here. I keep weighing myself, thinking I might have gained, but so far I’ve been ok!

      Delete
  11. Oh, my goodness, Bijoux, I just heard about Durian fruit for the first time last week on Gordon Ramsey's travel show.

    He's cooking a dinner in Malaysia and he freaks out when he gets a whiff of the Durian.

    Here's a clip on Ramsey "reacting" to the Durian: https://twitter.com/gordonramsay/status/1276578961623941120?lang=en

    Glad you got to meet up with friends for such socially distance wine-tasting. That reservoir looks beautiful.

    I think a lot of people are focusing on food in Covid-world because we don't have say about anything else that's been going on.

    I love those blueberries buckets and that pie looked delicious.

    Hold the Durian, bring on the blueberries!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link! I enjoyed the follow-up comments as well. Like I said, I didn’t think the smell was that bad. I guess I was expecting a rotten or sewage smell, but it was definitely a more medicinal odor to me.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. I remember being on a train in Vietnam. I was in a first class cabin (first class is somewhat relative). There was an American couple in the bottom two berths. I was in the top and across from me was a Vietnamese woman with two kids (in a berth that might have been 20 inches wide). She brought some Durian with her and had it in a box on the floor. The American man kept complaining of smelling something. He asked a conductor and he had a fit and yelled at the woman for bringing it on the train and took it away and threw it out at the next stop. I've never had the courage to try it.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a terrific story, Jeff! I didn’t feel all that courageous trying it. In fact, it was so not bad that I did scrape off the fruit from the entire pit in my bowl and ate it. I kept thinking I would be able to detect more flavors besides garlic.

      Delete
  13. Yep. That looks completely nasty. Not something i'd compare to ice cream. Never heard of it before either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you are adventurous. I have heard a lot of durian and doubt I would try it. I love the pies and cakes though. Ken loves apple crisp when I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I took a small picnic to a winery the other day. We sat outside and there was one other small group there, a few tables away.

    So turn smells bad, looks disgusting and tastes like garlic. Yeah, I can see the appeal...

    ReplyDelete
  16. In all fairness, we have a different palate than those in Asia. I’ve seen online others who live there love it and also compare it to ice cream, like my DIL. I’d try it again, baked into something.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm completely intrigued with that wonderful, healthy blueberry pie - - and I would LOVE to have six pounds of summer blueberries!

    My appetite was diminished, however, at the description (and photos) of the durian - which I've never heard of before.
    But I'd like to try that strawberry lager.

    Thanks for the interesting and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberries are certainly a superfood when it comes to health. Alas, I think the season is about over in these parts.

      Delete
  18. The blueberries look great. The dessert your daughter picked sounds like it would have been good, that's disappointing that it wasn't. My M-I-L shops at Jungle Jim's. She loves it. I don't know if I could bring myself to try a stinky fruit, but I'm really weird about smells. That's great that people are social distancing properly so you can get out a little bit. People here are mostly acting like the pandemic is over, even though our numbers are going up, so we're still staying home for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s neat that your MIL shops there! I’m going to have to go next time we are in Cincy. We are lucky that most people are wearing masks and being cognizant of personal space.

      Delete
    2. They live in Indiana, but are only about an hour from Cincy, and that's where Nick's step-dad grew up, so they go there a lot. I want to go to Jungle Jim's whenever we visit. It sounds like a great store, and she has found some really unusual and good things there.

      Delete
  19. Wow I'm surprised to see durian photos here and you try to eat it ..., do you like it after you try it? .

    In one village in the city I live there is a central village of various types of durian and when harvest comes quality durian is sold very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it tasted like garlic. That’s interesting that there are various types.

      Delete
  20. Everything looks very tasty: D: **Have a lovely week!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you were able to get away to the winery. Your blueberry pie looked yummy! Sorry to hear that the blueberry cheesecake dessert wasn't up to par. I like how you repurposed the Halloween pails. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to throw things away if I think I can use it some day. I’ve even kept stuff for my grand kids, which has come in handy.

      Delete
  22. I'm all for beer testing and winery visits, and all of those baked goods need to get in my bell! BUTTTTT.... Nope, nope, nope on that fruit! Sounds disgusting and just, no. - On the flip side, isn't it weird what some people think is good makes other people want to vomit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can never comprehend people liking bleu cheese because I think it tastes like vomit!

      Delete

Post a Comment