Normally, February/March means hibernation in my neck of the woods. Not this year! We have had a gloriously mild winter and have been seeing the sun consistently. That has meant fun outings on a more regular basis:
 |
At Christmas, we received a cookie tray AND a $100 restaurant gift card from our HVAC guy, of all people! Well, he has been our HVAC guy for about 25 years and between this house and our last, we've bought 2 furnaces and 2 AC units, along with a water heater. We had recommended him to our oldest daughter when she needed a new furnace last fall, so this was a thank you. And a very generous one, at that.
|
 |
We decided to use the card for the weekend after Valentine's Day (smart move, right?) We had only ever dined there once before because it's so pricey. I got the halibut over cauliflower puree with roasted purple potatoes/broccoli. It was wonderful! We sat in one of those booths to the right. (Obviously, not my photo as we did not reserve the entire restaurant!)
|
 |
| For Middle Child's birthday, the whole family gathered together at a place called Foundry Social. It's like a Chuck E. Cheese for adults. Some of their games are free, like these vintage video games. I particularly enjoyed playing Ms. PacMan. |
 |
Other games have a pay per player fee, such as these lanes of Duckpin Bowling. Everyone had a blast, even my preschool grandkids. Besides the bowling, we played corn hole, table shuffleboard, giant Jenga, and Skee-Ball. (Again, not my photo as the place was hopping.)
|
 |
This year is a milestone birthday year for me and my school chums. This is a photo from 20 years ago (I'm second from the left, looking like Big Bird). Sadly, I'm the only one still living nearby, so I rarely get to see any from this core group. I sent a birthday card to my friend in the middle last month and she texted me that she and her husband would be in the area and wanted to know if my husband and I wanted to meet for dinner. No brainer!
|
 |
We spent 2.5 hours reconnecting. We've been friends since 7th grade study hall. My earliest memory of her is that her Dad had just passed away and the study hall monitor had made some sort of rude comment about her absence and she shamed the woman by telling her why she'd been out for so long. My kind of friend!
|
 |
Also my kind of friend is fellow blogger, Betsy at Parenting Is Funny. She now holds the title of only blogger I've ever met in person. I felt a connection to her after finding her blog and realizing we had grown up near each other, even though she is (quite a bit?) younger than me. I mentioned to her not too long ago that if she ever came back from California to visit family, to look me up. I was surprised it happened so quickly! We were joined by her Mom and Sister (safety in numbers, right??) Fun topics covered: How her sister almost died, how we met our children's fathers, and how to handle our blogs when we die. Lots of laughs with our coffee talk. I will mention that Betsy's sister tried to steal me as her friend, proving that I really am a FUN person!
Have you ever met a fellow blogger? What fun have you been up to? |
Same here. In fact, we didn't get any snow this winter. I think it's been a mild winter all over because everyone I talk to says it's been non-existent. I'm sad for me, but happy for you! Although, I've seen it snow in March (and April), so I'm still hopeful. LOL!
ReplyDeleteWhat a thoughtful gesture from your HVAC guy!!! And I LOVE the look of the interior of the restaurant. I'm a booth fan!
Table shuffleboard and Skee-Ball - oh, what fun! Two of my all-time favorite games!
Okay, and the photos of you and your school chums AND the one of you and your friend are FABULOUS! And yup, she sounds like my kind of friend too. Good for her for mouthing off! I'd of done the same thing.
And how awesome that you met up with Besty! Great picture of the two of you!
And yup, I've met quite a few (8) fellow bloggers over the years. And one of these days, I look forward to meeting YOU. And I know it's going to happen one of these days!
Great post, my friend. Have a fantastic weekend! X
We did get a lot of snow right before Christmas, but not much since. The forecast was for 3 inches yesterday, but it wasn’t that much. I know you enjoy it and maybe I would if I didn’t have to drive in it. People are idiots on the road.
DeleteIsn’t the interior of that restaurant gorgeous? I love the Mission lighting and design. And this was only my second time playing table shuffleboard, but I loved it. The sand on the board is kind of cool. My husband wants to get one for our basement, but they probably cost $2000!
That friend of mine has always stood up for herself, which I love. She was also the one who asked my biggest crush to sign my yearbook (he was a senior when I was a sophomore). I never could believe she did that!!! And that he agreed! LOL! He barely knew who I was. I think we had typing class together!
Wow! You’ve met 8 bloggers? That’s a lot! It would be fun to meet you, Ron. I guess you never know, as I never thought I’d meet any. Thanks for all your kind comments on the photos. You’re the best! XO
Okay, so I had to come back and tell you this. Right after I hit the publish button on my previous comment, I looked out my apartment window and saw it SNOWING. I kid you not! I don't think it's going to last, but at least I saw some snow. LOL!
ReplyDeleteIt must have headed your way after it hit us yesterday. Don’t expect much! LOL
DeleteUnexpected gifts are always the best! It is a beautiful place. SO awesome that you got to see an old friend and meet another blogger. Winter was very mild here this year also. It's been unusually rainy and windy.
ReplyDeleteYou’re right, it has been unusually windy and rainy. I’m always having to pick up sticks and branches in the yard. But still better than shoveling!
DeleteI met several other bloggers before they decided to stop blogging for one reason or another. Right now the only blogger I've met is Kylie who lives in Sydney. I'd like to meet some of the others but like you they're mainly Americans and living in places a bit off the beaten track.
ReplyDeleteNice to get the restaurant gift card, especially if it's an expensive place you wouldn't normally visit.
I had no idea that you’ve met Kylie. I’m guessing when you visited Australia? That must have been an amazing trip all around. Yes, we rarely do the fine dining establishments except for anniversaries, so it was a very nice gift.
DeleteYes, I've been to Australia three times and on the last two visits I met Kylie, and also an ex-blogmate Helen.
DeleteThat sounds wonderful.
DeleteI have met many bloggers! Back in 2013-14, I went to some blogging conferences and met up with the friends who were my online friends, and it was wonderful. I also met a blog friend in 2010, she and I had - it turned out - lived parallel lives, growing up in adjacent neighbourhoods, working at the same library, going to the same preschool, and now having the same exact aged children. So that was neat! I'm so glad you got to meet up with your friends.
ReplyDeleteI remember hearing about blogging conferences when I first started blogging, but haven’t heard of any in a long time. I bet it was a lot of fun. How amazing that one of your blog friends had so much in common with your life. I was tickled to discover Betsy had lived less than 10 miles from me. She now lives in California, so I was lucky to get to meet her.
DeleteSounds like you had a very nice meal, a special night. Teachers don't always know best do they. My hubby's father died when he was young and a similar thing happened. Adults should think before they speak. It's great you got to reconnect. I love doing that. Yes, I've met some internet friends. Belonged to Find A GRave before Ancestry.com bought them out and met about a dozen people face to face that had chatted in the group together for a period of time. It was great fun, and we all still communicate. Had a grass roots charity for 14 years and met several people face to face that I had communicated with on line that had donated. And through Fitbit. A group of 8 of us connected through a group there and I've met 3 of the ladies face to face. There's actually only 1 person in the group that hasn't met one or two in the fleesh.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
It seemed like there were some really awful teachers, back in the day. No empathy or concern for students whatsoever. That is so cool that you’ve met up with so many internet friends. By the way, I love Find A Grave. So much info on that website that volunteers have given their time to work on. I would never be able to see all the gravesites of my ancestors if not for them. I have wanted to be able to contribute, but when I look at requests, there are never any near me or other people have attempted with no results.
DeleteI met a lot of bloggers thanks to a blogging convention held in Chicago in 2013. I also have a blogging friend who lives only 20 minutes away, and we get together once a month. I'd love to host a blog gathering every year. Nothing like a conference, more like sitting around a fire and talking. But I'm not interested in planning it. 🤣
ReplyDeleteI love seeing your face! I'm thrilled that more bloggers are revealing their true selves. It's nice to see you.
What a thoughtful gift from your HVAC guy! Of course, I'm sure you've been kind to him in return. ❤️
Sitting around a fire and talking is my kind of conference, though I can’t deal with the smoke smell, so let’s sit in a flower garden. And yes, the older I get, the less I want to plan anything. My local friends constantly talk about another girl’s trip (our last one was in 2016) but nobody wants to plan it. #sad
DeleteI hate photos of myself, so I rarely post any, but I’m glad you can connect my face to my blog now.
That's quite the Thank You from your HVAC guy!
ReplyDeleteLong-term friendships are one of the joys of my life. I was recently on a Men's Retreat for the Christian community I'm part of, and there were a number of guys there who've been my close friends for almost 50 years, since my college days. Not too many people can say that.
This summer, I'll have my 50-year HS class reunion, and I'm really looking forward to it. Some of my classmates, I've kept in touch with, but even the ones I haven't, it can be like we just step back into the friendship we had all those years ago. . .
Years ago (I wanna say '08?) we had a weekend get-together for some midwestern bloggers in Indianapolis. Maybe 8 or 10 of us came, and we had a good time together. It was fun to see blogger-friends 'live and in-person', and get some of the stories 'behind the curtain'.
Also Skip (from 'With His Tongue Planted Firmly in His Cheek') has family who live near us, so when he and his wife come to visit, we've gotten together a couple times.
DeleteYes indeed, and I sent the HVAC guy a thank you card for his thank you. Craig, I think the fact that you are my longest time follower is an indication that you are a life long friend. No surprise at all. I’m the same way. My longest friendship dates back to the summer of 1968, when my bestie moved in next door. And I also keep in touch with another neighborhood friend who was my first friend (we were born a few weeks apart and lived on the same street) but she moved to Detroit in the ‘70’s and I’ve only seen her about 4 times since.
DeleteI think that Midwestern blogger conference happened right after I started blogging in 2008. I remember FTN went and possibly FADKOG? I’ve always hoped they’d return to blogging, but I guess that ship has sailed. Remember the Canadian girl, Flutterby? Her kids are probably in college by now! Heck, I’d appreciate just an online get together with all the oldies. RIP Xavier :(
FTN and his wife were there; I don't know if you ever saw Tajalude, but she and her husband were there, also RS ('Recovering Soul'?) and his wife, 'Therese' were there. Also 'Trueself' and 2amsomewhere', who was actually local to Indy. FADKOG was not there, but FTN had her phone number, so we passed the phone around and all said hello. Flutterby was one of my blogger besties, as well. . .
DeleteI recognize some of those names. I guess most people gave up blogging for one reason or another, but it would be nice to hear from them once in a while.
DeleteBetsy's a hoot. You might say I've met a few bloggers in real life. Met, dated, married, vacationed with, and more. I think about 13-14 total. Some have become true friends.
ReplyDeleteThere certainly hasn't been any dearth of snow here (fun excuse to use a word I rarely do). About a foot in the past three days alone. Gotta love March in the Midwest!
That’s a lot of bloggers you’ve met! I’m not sure I knew Tara had (has?) a blog. Betsy and I of course talked about you, as we met through your blog. You’re becoming Kevin Bacon!
DeleteThe man who did our siding shows up with gifts for us every once in a while. He's very grateful - has been a patient of Coach's before. We think the world of him and we've recommended his work to others. It's always a surprise when he knocks on the door. I love that your HVAC guy thought to send you a gift.
ReplyDeleteAbout 4 or 5 years ago, Kari of a Grace Full Life emailed me to say that she thought she was at my wedding. Long story - but YES, she was a guest at our wedding. Her first husband was Coach's neighbor growing up. Coach was the best man in their wedding. She lives in the north suburbs of Chicago and she and I had lunch once shortly after that realization. Talk about small world. It felt like a story right out of a screen play. *I read her comment and I think she forgot to include our meeting in her listing of bloggers met. I will raz her about that. ;)
Last year Coach and I and our 3 youngest flew to Florida for spring break. Suz from Busy Bee Productions drove to meet my girls and I for ice cream near the beach. It was so fun - great to meet her in person.
That’s nice about your siding guy. True customer appreciation. Ok, the story with Kari is soooo bizarre! Your husband was the best man at her first marriage??? I guess they (the men) didn’t keep in touch with each other or I think you’d have known who she was immediately. That is a crazy story! I think I remember Suz meeting up with a blogger last year, so that must have been you. It’s nice that we have these mutual blogger friends.
DeleteIt IS a crazy, crazy story. Coach didn't even remember that he was the best man at Kari's first wedding. I posted a pic of my wedding and mentioned Irish dancers preforming and she started to put two and two together. I ran to my box of proofs and there she is - at a table AT MY WEDDING in 1996. Does it get any weirder than that? What are the actual chances of us reading one another's blogs all these years later? Coach's parents keep in touch with Kari's first husband's parents because they were neighbors, but Coach is not in touch with the guy. Coach doesn't do social media at all, so that might've been the only chance they would've connected.
DeleteYep, Suz wrote about our visit on her blog. She drew a picture of us visiting since I don't post real photos. She is a delight and I sometimes forget that blogging is how we met. I can barely remember when I didn't know her. ;)
So bizarre, but what a great story. SO funny that you even found Kari in your wedding photos! My husband doesn’t do social media either, so I get it. The weirdest online connection I’ve ever made was an online forum that I participated in from 2006-2008. Two other regular contributors and I realized (through private messages) that the three of us had attended the same university and our overlap was one semester. One of them was very active in campus life like me and I found a picture of him in my college yearbook at a social at the university’s presidents home that I also attended. Small world stuff is so interesting!
DeleteIsn't it fun to connect with people you haven't seen in a long time? Looks and sounds like a great time with your friend and her husband! It's also fun to meet fellow bloggers. I think someone should arrange a blogger-con somewhere! I've met several bloggers in my years of blogging. Last year I met Jenny from I'm Having A Thought Here when we traveled to South Carolina. That was fun. Such a sweetie. Several years ago I met a blogger named Judy from Onward and Upward. She lived about 1/2 hour from me in Michigan. Met her when I went to her fiancés funeral of all places! She's since passed away this last December. I also met a blogger named Donna from Cottage Days and Journeys when my husband and I were in Tennessee. It's been a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteThat’s great that you’ve met several bloggers, but I’m sorry that Judy has passed. That was great that you met up with some while traveling. I do remember you getting together with Jenny. Sounded like fun!
DeleteThat sounds like such a great time, Bijoux.
ReplyDeleteI love that place with the old video games. It brings back such memories. It's cool to meet up with old friends and the blogging buddy as well. I've met a few bloggers in the real world and I can't wait to meet you!
Lots of fun outings recently, despite it not being patio weather! The old video games were a blast from the past. And I will look you up the next time I’m in the city!
DeleteAh ha! So you were the blogger who Betsy was meeting. I was curious and I am so glad you met in person. Someday I hope to meet a blogger in real life in a pleasant way. And yes there's a long story about meeting a blogger by accident in real life. She weren't so nice.
Delete[Sorry if my comment went into the wrong place. It's Monday. I'm tired.]
ReplyDelete[This is Betsy.] You came up in conversation, AB, as I believe you and Mark are our only mutual blog friends. Too bad the three of us couldn't all meet together. That would've been wild!
DeleteAnd Julie, safety in numbers? Haha. One of them needed to drive me, and the other wanted to tag along. I'm so glad you weren't utterly scandalized by them, particularly my sister. I'll send the link to this post to them. It will be a good reminder for my sister to check out Foundry Social. Again, thanks for meeting with me! So nice to do so, and honored that I was your first!
Yes! Betsy mentioned you being in Ohio, too. She also met up with someone near Columbus. And now I really want to hear about the accidental meeting. Very intriguing.
DeleteHi Betsy. Did you make it back home safely? I was glad to meet all three of you and my first time will be one I’ll never forget, that’s for certain. Thanks for taking the time!
DeleteFINALLY posted the story of meeting BBs. And am finally seeing this comment. Stinks that I don't get notified of comment responses, so I just have to think to come check. And I see there's another post I missed. Will read it next!
DeleteI've never met a fellow blogger but I have met a couple of FB friends.
ReplyDeleteHi Mary. All my FB friends are people I know IRL. I try to not mix the two! LOL.
DeleteYeah, new friends are fun and exciting but there's something comforting about people that remind us of home. And of who we are before the age of the internet. :)
ReplyDeleteVery true. It is comforting to be with those who knew us, back in the day. Thanks for visiting.
DeleteWhat a nice gift! I like the look of that restaurant. Foundry Social sounds like a fun place for a birthday celebration.
ReplyDeleteNICE photo of you and your friends, and how cool to meet up with your old friend, and a fellow blogger too. Good times!
No, I have not met any blog friends. There have been a few somewhat close enough in area that it could have happened with some planning maybe, but it's just always seemed best to keep some relationships separate. That sounds strange, as I feel more connected to some thru blogging than I do with some people I know in person. Actually, I've become more self-conscious over the years so maybe things just flow a bit better online and I wouldn't want that to change by a weird meet up or something. LOL
~M
Thanks, Mary. I thought you might have met Rob, but I wasn’t sure. But I totally understand wanting to keep the relationships separate. I’m not FB friends with any bloggers. I actually never planned to meet any bloggers, but since Betsy was practically my neighbor growing up, I thought it would be interesting. But yeah, it’s kind of weird, too. LOL
DeleteWe are like you, when we find a vendor/contractor that we like, we stay with them forever and share the love. What a sweet Thank You.
ReplyDeleteYou've been having fun instead of hibernating and that's so darn awesome.
I love that you have the same friends forever too; that says a lot about you!
I've met six bloggers. (maybe more? I'm forgetful lately) How fun to meet your first. Gonna go check out her blog!
It’s so hard to find good ‘help’ that we are now worried our people are going to start retiring. Some doctors already have and it’s been a real bummer. I do love my forever friends. It’s like recapturing our youth. I knew that you had met up with some bloggers. And the more the merry at Betsy’s place.
DeleteThe restaurant looks so posh! Such a nice gift from your HVAC man!
ReplyDeleteI wish we had adult chuck e cheese here. I cannot stand the kiddy one, but an adult one? Um, yes!
How awesome you got to meet up with friends this month! I did get to see my 7th grade bestie on our 40th birthday, 3 years ago. It sucks when you get older and live a few towns apart and only see each other for special occasions because you're both so busy with kids and work and just life in general. You look great! I bet it was a blast catching up!
I have not met any blogger friends in person. Unless you count meeting fellow bloggers who you knew nothing about until you ended up at a blogging event and becoming friends that way. I did have plans to meet my long time blog friend when we were in Boston 5ish years ago, but she got called away that weekend for work and we missed our chance. I do have another blog friend in Florida that I would love to meet, but I'm always so worried about asking other bloggers to meet in person because I don't know how they feel about keeping relationships behind a screen or advancing to in person friendships. I didn't even tell her we were coming her way until we were already 1/2 way through our trip in January. She did bring it up that we should meet next time I'm that way, so that opens the door for me to invite her to lunch when we go back.
So true about only seeing old friends only on special occasions. When people live more than an hour away, it takes some effort to make it happen. It’s always so amazing to pick up right where you left off when you finally do get together. I love that. Yeah, I never really thought I’d meet up with a blogger, esp. since I keep my blog mostly anonymous. And for a long time, most of my followers were male, so that was part of it.
DeleteIt's funny, I didn't tell a single person, not even my husband that I had started a blog until almost 2 years into it. I don't think the rest of my family or friends found out until I was 5 or 6 years into it and that's because one of the big companies I was working for shared my daughter's pic on their social media and then the jig was up. I like to separate my personal from blogging life, but sometimes it's hard to navigate keeping those apart. These days I don't much care though since I only keep it up and running for as long as the honey company wants to keep paying me to do their posts each week. Once that's done, I'll probably walk away because there are too many people (mainly at Jason's old work) that try to keep tabs on us and it's stressful trying not to say too much online so they get free info about us.
DeleteUgh! Is there any way to change your blog address and just send your real followers a link? I would hate that. My blog is basically a secret, too. I like having a place where I can vent and be honest.
DeleteI think as long as I'm with the honey company, I have to leave it as is. But that's ok. I think many people are moving away from blogs these days and going to video, like Tik Tok. I'm just too old school for that though. My daughter likes to tell me I am ancient for still using Facebook LOL
DeleteLol! But I’d be bummed if you quit blogging. Yeah, I think blogs are out of style these days, but I’m hearing murmurs that Tik Tok is shutting down. Facebook has become awful over the past 10 years! It was fun back when it was new.
DeleteWow you have been busy, and looks like you've been doing some great things! I haven't met any other bloggers yet, but I'd like to think I will some day. I've been focusing on doing stuff to the house this winter. Painting ceilings etc. Really boring, but I'm off to AZ for 3 weeks tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that.
ReplyDeleteAZ in March is a great place to be. Safe travels and Happy Easter!
DeleteAwesome. Glad you got to connect with an old friend and a blogging buddy. I have spoken to bloggers on the phone but never met one in person. I think it would be cool if Google had some sort of blogging convention and people could meet up if they wanted to. Take care and enjoy that weather.
ReplyDeleteThere used to be blogging conventions back around 2008, when I first started blogging. I think they were partly ‘how-to’ conferences with a chance to meet fellow bloggers. I think blogging is not so popular now :(
DeleteI have met a couple of bloggers--some close (NC), others not so close such as Iowa, Indonesia, and Malaysia. I can't believe that the study hall teacher would have been so cruel to make such a comment, unless she didn't know your friend's dad died, then I think someone in administration should have done better to inform teacher. That's terrible for her to have to endure that as such a young age.
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you've met some international bloggers. I'm sure the study hall monitor had no idea why my friend had been absent for so long. It was the 1970's and communication between staff probably wasn't what it is today, with computers/emails. Despite that, it was dumb for an adult (and she was no spring chicken) to make a negative comment about a student's absence without any knowledge of the circumstances.
DeleteYes, old friends in the sense of long-term vs. age are the best, Bijoux, although now it seems that mine are both the same (how did that happen?) I did not have many close friends growing up as the neighborhood didn’t have any children my age. That said, I do have several friends who I don’t see often due to distance, but we talk by phone and keep in contact through cards and notes. As you may already know, I am not a social media fan, other than blogging. Ironically, none of these friends read the blog on a regular basis or comment.
ReplyDeleteAs for meeting fellow bloggers, we have met a few, a couple were on past road trips, and that was the only contact. We do keep in contact with couples in VA and PA and have met up whenever in those areas. Hopefully, again this year. It would be fun to meet other bloggers in the future!
It was great to see your photo with your friend and fellow blogger too. And that gift card was very thoughtful. What a wonderful dining experience too😋
Those ‘old friends’ are indeed the best. I did not know that blogging is your only social media. I only post anything on Facebook or Instagram sporadically. And no one I know in real life reads my blog. I like it that way!
Delete