Monday Memories: Just Can't Get Enough

If you were between the ages of 15 and 25 in the early 1980's, you likely believe that the music and fashion of that era has never been surpassed. While the spiral perms and mullets have gone out of style, the music is still alive and well-received by the younger generations. As evidenced by our recent concert experience, where we saw every age group represented.


Bijoux, circa 1983. Early fan of Depeche Mode, along with other bands like Talking Heads, Joy Division, Tom Tom Club, and New Order. I thought I was so New Wave in that shirt!

Bijoux, 40 years later. Waiting for Depeche Mode to take the stage at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in downtown Cleveland, Home of Rock and Roll. Depeche Mode was formed in 1980 in Essex, England. They have been described as early EDM (electronic dance music), new wave, synth pop, alternative, and industrial. They were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2020.


It was the Memento Mori (Remember that you will Die) Tour, in memory of their keyboardist, Andy Fletcher, who passed away last year. As it is likely their last tour, we were not about to miss it. The last time we saw them was The Singles Tour in 1998. They never disappoint.


The graphics were fabulous, but the showstopper will always be lead singer, David Gahan. He dazzles the crowd with his signature moves. At age 61, he is still one of the sexiest singers out there.


'The Grabbing Hands' from the 1983 song, Everything Counts (in large amounts). Lyrics still as relevant as they were back then. The concert featured new music such as Ghosts Again, as well as fan favorites like Walking In My Shoes, Policy of Truth, Question of Lust, It's No Good, Strangelove, I Feel You, World In My Eyes, Black Celebration, and Enjoy the Silence. The only glaring omissions were People Are People and Blasphemous Rumours.


Waiting for the Encore. The audience, like us, were on our feet dancing for the entire 1.5 hour show.



The encore was out of this world fabulous: Condemnation, Just Can't Get Enough, Never Let Me Down Again, and Personal Jesus. Gahan had the crowd singing, waving our arms, and enjoying every last second of the performance. We left elated.



Please enjoy this megamix I found on youtube featuring the original video and various concert footage of my favorite song, Never Let Me Down Again. They truly never let us down. Thanks, Depeche Mode, for over 40 years of musical joy and excitement.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans.



Comments

  1. You were SO COOL in 1983!! What am I saying....YOU STILL ARE. I would have died for that outfit in 1983. Epic. 

    I'm so glad you got to see Depeche Mode. I love them. One of my favorite New Wave bands. Last weekend, there was an amazing New Wave festival in Huntington Beach, California. SO MANY GOOD BANDS. DM was one of them. I'm curious about the ticket price...it would have been well worth it.

    (I just looked- started at $199. Look up Darker Waves Fest)

    Happy Thanksgiving, friend! So thankful for you and your blog. 😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I bought that shirt at my first job. I wish I could remember the designer. I loved it so much. OMG, Darker Waves Fest must have been incredible! I’m excited that Soft Cell and OMD are still performing. And Human League! Maybe they’ll head East in 2024! We saw Psychedelic Furs and X was the opening act last year. They were both amazing. $200 would be well worth it, IMO.

      Hope your long weekend is happy and healthy! Love ya!

      Delete
  2. That shirt looks like a Star Trek uniform. Just sayin'. . . ;)

    I was 25 in 1981, but I can't share your enthusiasm for 80s music. I think people latch onto what they were listening to in high school and college. I have fondness for the music of the 70s, but honestly, it's all downhill after the Beatles broke up. I've been to see McCartney in concert a few times, and the audience ranged from the gray pony-tails to pre-teen kids. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shirt is Star Trekish, for sure. A lot of the New Wave artists dressed futuristic, like Flock of Seagulls. Yes, I suppose you were just a little bit past the age of loving that music. I don’t like 60’s music at all, but I will tolerate some of the ‘70’s.🤣

      I love when parents can pass down their love of certain bands to their kids.

      Delete
  3. OMG, I LOVE that first photo of you! You're right, it's so 80s - the hair, the fashion! And btw, I was a huge fan of Depeche Mode. Whenever I hear one of their songs, I am immediately reminded of the 80s! And how wonderful, 40 years later, you saw Depeche Mode in Cleveland! Great photo of you!

    I can't over the graphics of the Memento Mori Tour. SO cool!

    I Googled David Gahan to find of current photograph. You're right, still sexy!

    I could feel how exciting that night was for you and others who attended the concert. I could feel the energy through your words and photos.

    Thanks so much for sharing the megamix vid. I watched part of it and will watch the rest of it later today.

    Thanks for sharing your experience, my friend! Very much enjoyed!

    And Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! X

    P.S. check your emails because I sent you a photo last week and wondered if you recieved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My senior picture hair is SO high and lacquered in Aqua Net, but I still stand by that it looks gorgeous! Bahahaha! David Gahan still makes me swoon. So HOT! My husband and I were comparing videos of him singing over the past 40 years and he still sounds the same and honestly looks the same, just older. I was so pumped at that concert! I’m glad you could feel my excitement.

      I’ll check my email and write you back! Happy Turkey Day! 🦃

      Delete
  4. You had it going on in that first photo. I'd have loved to have had an outfit like that. And the concert was, of course, the bomb. [Is that '80s slang?] Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 🦃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great time period. I don’t know if we said the bomb back then? I just remember saying everything was excellent or “to the max!” Happy TurkeyDay!

      Delete
  5. I looked so much like you in your first photo, we could have been separated at birth. The early 80's were the BEST!! Yes, David Gahan is still SO sexy. How fun that you were able to attend the concerts. The chance to relive certain teenage passions is exhilarating isn't it?
    Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to see a picture of you back then! Exhilarating, indeed. Have a wonderful holiday this week❤️

      Delete
  6. I liked them when I was a teenager in the 80's too. I've never been to a concert because I just hate crowds that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking they'd be a band you liked, Mary!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you're making me feel really really old. Never heard of those bands and in 1980, I was 30, married, working a full time job. How fun for you though that you got to revisit as it were. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that photo of you in the shirt--and we get a fast-forward to an equally lovely photo!

    I'm a huge fan of 80s music and it sounds like this concert was a real blast. Momento Mori is a good thing to remember, along with tempus fugit--time flies. Right now I'm going to check out that megamix you so kindly shared with us.

    Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so kind, Rob. You do know your Latin and I appreciate you adding tempus fugit. So appropriate to the post. Have a wonderful holiday!

      Delete
  9. Craig stole my thought - that looks like a Star Trek uniform. I enjoy Depeche Mode. I have to agree about the music of the 80's. I don't think it gets any better. This looks like so much fun. I'm glad you were able to attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does because of the futuristic look! So many great ‘80’s bands with so many different sounds. The best!

      Delete
  10. DEPECHE MODE! I love Depeche Mode! I went to their concert in 1990, I was 15 and I really thought I was something else. I still think their music is fabulous. I appreciate how your shoes match the red in your top, in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad to hear you are a fan as well. Thank you for noticing the shoes! LOL, back in the day, my shoes and purse always matched!

      Delete
    2. The first picture makes me think of Star Wars. Glad you enjoyed the concert.
      Sandy's Space

      Delete
  11. Back when I was in college, I made frequent trips to Tower Records in Campbell, CA to stock up on DM 12" CD singles. Their remixes are legendary. I'm a huge fan of both them and the Pet Shop Boys. And I have to laugh, because compared to a lot of artists we've seen in recent years, 61 sounds downright young. Fingers crossed I get an opportunity to see DM live someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their remixes are AMAZING. They sort of did the Pump Mix to Personal Jesus, though it was hard to tell live. I hope you do get to see them while they are touring. I’m glad 61 sounds young 🤓

      Delete
  12. Even someone from the 70s (I turned 13 two and a half weeks into the 70s and had graduated college by the end of the decade), I would love to see Depeche Mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another fan! They were fantastic. And it was nice to see a band give their all.

      Delete
  13. Sure this was a great músic concert. In the picture there are thousands of people. Its really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a large arena. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. YES - Great musik.
    A wonderful video, I had a lot of fun and brought the music into my living room :-)))
    I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving. All good wishes from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were and still are COOL!! I love that you guys attended this show. It looks and sounds like it was so much fun! I agree with you: The 80's were an amazing time to be alive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz. The only thing that would have made it better is if you were there. Hope you’re having a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. Imagine how much fun we would have! ❤️❤️❤️ Having the best time with my family. Thank you. XO

      Delete
  16. My favourite music goes back to the 60s and 70s! I don't know anyone to surpass the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks etc. I often sample today's trendy groups and singers but I find them very mediocre and samey. But hey, whatever turns you on! Glad you enjoyed the concert. That's a great song. And you look very cool in the 1983 outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I like some music from today, but my favorites are from when I was young. Hope you are having a nice weekend.

      Delete
  17. Happy Thanksgiving, Bijoux. Sounds like an amazing concert and experience. I was late to the Depeche Mode party and didn't discover them until 1988. They have such a great catalog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly do have a great catalog of songs. It’s hard to pick a favorite. I still want to hear how Weezer was?

      Delete
    2. No idea why I'm anonymous on my own blog.

      Delete
  18. I love the music of the 80's and still rock out to it every chance I get. Depeche Mode wasn't at the top of my list back then (I was still a young un in the 80's), but I do love their music now. You were so rocking that shirt. I would have worn the heck out of it. But dang girl, you still got it going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Theresa. I hope you get to see some live acts in 2024.

      Delete
  19. I'm grateful for the clarity in your explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love both pictures of you!! And I'm happy you were able to see Depeche Mode! My daughter LOVES them and has seen them before. She needed a concert buddy for the Memento Mori show so I went with her. WOW, what a great concert! I didn't know many of the words to some songs, but the music was just so good (and the positive energy of the crowd) that it was super fun and I'm glad we went.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, that’s cool that you went to Memento Mori, too! Wasn’t it such a great show? Love Dave Gahan! Happy Holidays! XO

      Delete

Post a Comment