Photo Friday: Gardens, Wine & Art = My Trifecta

We are on a mission to do more weekend getaways, as our state has so much to offer. Despite the blustery temps, we spent the first weekend in May visiting some places we've never been:


Our destination was Dawes Arboretum in Newark, Ohio. It began as a retreat for Beman and Bertie Dawes in 1918. The family's permanent residence was in Columbus and Beman made his money as an executive with the Pure Oil Company. What started out as 293 acres grew into 2000 acres of trees and gardens. There are limited tours of the home, which we did not take.


There was a Japanese garden that was extremely minimalistic, compared to others we've visited.
 

We were impressed by the bald cypress swamp, accessible by boardwalk. It is one of the most northern of its kind in the world. The only other ones I've seen were in South Carolina and the Everglades.


I was proud of myself for climbing a wooden tower to see the hedge letters. It spells out 'Dawes Arboretum.' Of course, you'd need a drone to actually read it. 


Me, happy to be there, despite being cold!


At least the azaleas were in bloom! And they were huge!


You would not expect to find a cemetery in an arboretum, but there it was.


It was small and we had the place to ourselves. We roamed around and read each tombstone. One thing I enjoy about old graves is that they usually list how long the person was alive by years, months, and days. I was a little teary eyed to see baby graves that listed how many hours they were alive.


As the above sign said, there were some Revolutionary War veterans buried here. There was also a garter snake resting in peace to the left of the star.


For lunch, we headed to Rhonemus Cellars in Lancaster, Ohio. The winery has only been open for 18 months and is the project of a retired couple. 


It is built on the grounds of a former golf course. The entire back of the building is windows, and this was the view from our table. 


We enjoyed some delicious potato leek soup and this charcuterie board and toasted to the weekend, which marked 42 years since the day we met. Afterwards, one of the owners was kind enough to answer our questions about their vines and the grapes they are currently growing in Napa and the Finger Lakes. She gave us the grand tour, including their cave and private dining room. The entire building was modeled after Quintessa in Napa. I looked it up and was surprised how much alike it truly was.


Then we were off to check in to the Granville Inn in Granville, Ohio. This historic inn was built in 1924 and completely remodeled in 2013 after being purchased by nearby Denison University. We also walked around the town of Granville which was just about the cutest small town you could imagine.


Our room was small but nicely appointed. That evening we had a lovely dinner in their Oak Room and an after-dinner drink in the historic, wood paneled pub. We saw a few couples in Kentucky Derby attire, which only added the atmosphere. The next morning, we had a nice breakfast in the pub area and headed off to drive around Denison University. I didn't take any pictures, but it was a beautiful campus.


Our final destination was actually Kenyon College, ranked #8 in the most beautiful college campuses in the USA. It was a splendid, clear day and we were absolutely delighted by it all. There is a 'Middle Path' that runs the length of the campus, from the dorms to the academic buildings.


Sculptures were all over the place!


Middle Path dead-ended into this building. Near the cross way between the two main roads through campus was a quaint restaurant, some shops, and a really cute coffee shop that looked like it belonged on Nantucket.


The building on the right is their art museum, and we were lucky to find it open on a Sunday.


A student greeted us at the front desk and welcomed us to look around.


How clever are these paintings of a Royal Dansk cookie tin with the bottom showing its inevitable end use as a sewing kit?
 

I do not know what this chair and children's books represent, but that's the beauty of modern art. It's up to our own interpretation. Maybe it has to do with Charlotte's Web?


Is this art or real life? A curated student desk.

Then it was time to head home, proud of ourselves for checking some places off our bucket list. Are there any spots in your state that you want to visit?

Comments

  1. Two thousand acres is enormous, but it looks well maintained. Several whole different environments in one area.

    I suspect the chair and children's books art symbolizes the fact that somebody gave up on untangling all that yarn and decided to make the best of it.

    I could never be buried in a cemetery in an arboretum, with all those different plants and flowers. I'm sure my allergies would torment me even then.

    Baby graves are very common from the period before mass vaccination. It was a different world back then.

    Nice that you've been doing things that interest you during your time off. I can't really say there are places here in Oregon I have a yen to visit. Everywhere I really want to go to would involve flying, and in most cases dealing with a new language, and I don't know whether I could cope these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many, many countries I'd love to visit, but between the long flights, the expense, and responsibilities here at home, it's just not going to happen. We stick with domestic travel (and Canada) and I will still never get to visit all the places our country has to offer.

      Delete
  2. "...as our state has so much to offer."

    You're right, it does! In all the years we've been blogging together, whenever you've posted about Cleveland or Ohio overall, I've always been impressed by what it has to offer - visually, historically, etc.

    That shot of the Japanese garden in is so beautiful. Being a lover of all things Japanese, I would have loved seeing that garden in person.

    " It spells out 'Dawes Arboretum.' Of course, you'd need a drone to actually read it."

    That is soooooooooo cool! And what a stunning view! I love the cloud formations against that blue sky!

    You and I also share a love of cemeteries; especially old ones with their incredible tombstones. I, like you, enjoy reading them and trying to imagine WHO they were.

    And CONGRATS on your 42nd year Anniversary! That charcuterie board and wine looked insanely fabulous!

    "Royal Dansk cookie tin with the bottom showing its inevitable end use as a sewing kit?"

    Isn't it something how we ALL used reused those cookie tins for other things. My mother used ours, yes, as a sewing kit!

    Thanks so much for sharing your bucket list places. Very much enjoyed!

    Have a fantastic weekend, my friend! X

    P.S. I would love to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater, here in PA. That whole area looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese gardens are my favorite to visit. The symmetry and peacefulness are unmatched. And YES! We both love to visit old, old cemeteries. I would still like to visit some of my relatives who are buried in Ohio. I like to think that they somehow realize a descendent cares enough to visit their grave. OMG - I am dying to visit Fallilngwater. Friends of mine went, but I had plans that weekend. I told my husband that we are going asap!

      Delete
  3. I love little get aways exploring gems closer to home. That'll be my travel plans for the near future as other expenses and life have other travel off the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Places close to home that have not been explored are the best. I hope you find some cool hidden gems this year.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is all so lovely, Bijoux! First of all - forty-two years since you met, how wonderful is that! A celebration for sure. The gardens are gorgeous and so is that college campus. I love the painting of the cookie tin - YES OF COURSE it is a sewing tin! Love it. The Japanese garden is maybe my favourite, but all of the gardens look stunning. And I love an azalea! That is a great photo of you - I love seeing photos of my bloggy friends, it makes me feel closer to them. It does look chilly though, based on your clothes! Hopefully it's warmed up soon. I have seen a lot of the province I live in, BC, but I haven't been to the north part of it. My husband has - it's a pretty huge province and the north is the NORTH if you know what I'm saying. I know it's beautiful but I'm not in a hurry to see it. It would involve camping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, we finally have had temperatures in the 80's. It's humid, but I'm not complaining, I had a sweater on all day yesterday. Ok, I admit that I do picture a lot of Canada to be wilderness. Camping would be a hard pass for me (and thankfully, my spouse!)

      Delete
  5. Hello my friend!! TBG and I met almost 42 years ago also. Where has all of that time gone? It looks like you had a lovely weekend.
    I had no idea there were any bald cypress swamp areas this far north. That is very intriguing.
    The winery is gorgeous and the charcuterie board looks delicious.
    I love the look of Granville Inn and how cozy and comfortable it appears. I bet it is gorgeous in the winter too.
    The cookie tin art and the curated student desk are pretty cool.
    We love day/weekend trips too. Illinois does have a lot of places to see. If you love cemeteries like I do, you need to look up Greenwood Cemetery in Decatur Illinois. It truly is one of the eeriest places I've been to. Legend has it that many areas of Decatur were built on top of old Indian burial grounds and is very haunted. The cemetery is one.
    Can't wait to hear about the rest of your summer visits.
    Take care and big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that you met the same year as us! It's crazy to think it's been that long, isn't it? I looked at some google photos of Greenwood Cemetery, and it does look eerie. Especially that green door with the chains on it! If I'm ever driving through, it looks worth a visit.

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic weekend getaway! You really covered it all—nature at the Arboretum, local history in the cemetery, and some serious 'wow' factor at Rhonemus Cellars. I love that you celebrated 42 years since you met with such a beautiful view and a charcuterie board. Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes. It was such a fun weekend. This has been a great birthday month for me and we're only halfway through.

      Delete
  7. Great photos! I'm very interested in the wines that place has to offer. I'm not fond of Ohio wines--they are usually too sweet or mild for me--but if they have vineyards elsewhere, perhaps they make a different style.

    I had a friend who attended Denison a hundred years ago. It really is a beautiful spot. I'm so glad you had a good time on your jaunt, despite our chilly spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio wines are generally not very good. There are exceptions; I think M Cellars produces very good wines. Places like Michaelangelo's source their grapes from the west coast and plant vines around the property for show. Denison was beautiful but hilly. Those kids get a workout!

      Delete
  8. That place is big. I enjoyed all the pictures you took and the places you went to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arboretum was huge and I was glad they had a driving map so that we could drive and park to see the majority of the gardens.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful getaway to celebrate the anniversary of your first meeting, Bijoux. We are celebrating the 29th anniversary of our first date at home this weekend and again next weekend with dinner our and a concert at the arts center here. It’s important to celebrate these special days❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful! I'm glad you celebrate those special days, too.

      Delete
  10. What a good wkend adventure. Have been to almost all the places you visited, but some was years ago. I must put Dawes on the list. I did a training there back when my daughter who's now 40+ was in grade school. They used to require the parent chaperones to do a training session so they could lead the students through specific areas. I didn't know about the cemetery and would love to see that. I love the history on stones and was surprised to read about The Rev. War Grave. We didn't make wkend ventures last summer; but did the year before; but we generally just did day trips. I think I like what you did better and plan to tell hubby about it tonight over cocktails. Great pictures. Happy Anniversary to you. We'll celebrate our 54th wedding anniversary this coming June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the chaperoning I did for my kids, I never had to attend a training session. That must have been some intense learning about trees, etc. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary!

      Delete
  11. A good idea to visit places you've never seen before. The Dawes Arboretum looks wonderful. Yes, it's strange having a cemetery in an arboretum. I wonder how that came about? The yarn-covered chair is mysterious as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cemetery was on that property over 100 years before the Dawes family purchased the land. It is unusual to see something like that, but I've seen a few tombstones next to people's homes that live alongside roads. I think the majority of people used to be buried near churches.

      Delete
  12. Getaways to places new to you is always a fun thing and even nicer if they are close to home, Bijoux. This summer we're planning to do some NH exploring as well. You are right that old cemeteries provide a lot of unsettling information, however, I am always intrigued by reading the headstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your upcoming NH adventures. I have never been anywhere in New England. My oldest daughter really wants us to do a family vacation somewhere up there in the future.

      Delete
  13. Ohio does have a lot of really cool places to offer, and it isn’t far to drive to them! I love when you share the places you go because I know the names of the towns, but I’ve never been to the actual places, so I feel like I’m along with you! Kenyon College! I’ve never been, but I’ve been to the Mt. Vernon, Gambier, and Apple Valley areas many times!

    It looks like you had a really nice time. 😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farthest drive for us in Ohio would be Cincinnati (4 hours away). The nice part is that you can always find things to do along the way. I love using Google maps to explore areas, just by typing in 'places of interest' or 'wineries' LOL!

      Delete
  14. Looks like a great getaway! I really like the Dansk cookie tin paintings! So clever! We've pretty much been everywhere in Michigan but I want to go back to the norther part of the Upper Peninsula again because we missed so much when we were there last time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to the UP, but hope to visit there some day. And Mackinac Island!

      Delete
  15. 42 years. That's wonderful. My husband & I plan to visit places close to home. We have thought of visiting Ohio. My sister lived in Cincinnati 30 years ago. We stopped in on our way home & enjoyed her area. She lives in Florida now. Thanks for sharing some wonderful places to visit. We prefer the hidden gems vs tourist places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Cincinnati! My husband’s family came from that area and his still has relatives there. We need to get back. I hope your summer is full of adventures.

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful trip! I applaud you plan to do more weekend getaways. The arboretum looks so beautiful. The cookie lid art was cool and it brought back some nice childhood memories--and made me a little hungry.

    Keep working on that bucket list. I have an urge to see Mystic Seaport in Connecticut. I went there as a cub scout in the 1960s and I want to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been anywhere in the New England states. Mystic Seaport sounds magical. I hope you make the effort to go again!

      Delete
  17. I never would have thought there would have been a bald cypress swamp this far north. Those always scream southern to me. Fascinating little trip you took. We have a Japanese garden in the next town over. It's quite small, but it's really pretty when everything is in bloom during the spring months. A lot of people locally do their wedding and prom photography there. It's probably similar to the one you visited in size though.

    I'm always fascinated to learn of all of the cool places in Ohio. I always assume it's like Indiana with not much to see or do, but you surprise me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention prom pictures because we saw a big group of kids doing just that at the winery! I agree that the Japanese gardens are so pretty, esp. in the spring.

      I think Ohio has so much to do because we have 3 big cities: Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. Not too many other states have that. The bigger population was built on steel and rubber industries.

      Delete
  18. Okay. I'm bookmarking this for our trip. We're going to do Cuyahoga Valley National Park, thanks to you mentioning it and me thinking, "How the heck did I not know about this place?" I also want to do Stan Hewitt Hall, but that's $$. I'll see how far Newark is. That place looks worth a visit too. Thank you! ~Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CVNP is the best kept secret! Go to Brandywine Falls, Blue Hen Falls, and the Ledges. Bike or take a walk on the towpath near Peninsula. I wouldn't drive all the way to Newark. There is a better one in Wooster, which is closer. Secrest Arboretum. And it's free. Stan Hywet is great though and you could hit up the Bomb Shelter (weird antiques) and Don Drumm Gallery (local artist) while in Akron.

      Delete
    2. Copying all of this and sending it to myself. Thanks!

      Delete
  19. Such a lovely getaway to celebrate the anniversary of your first meeting ... Eddie and I often used to do that ... special times and many happy memories :)

    I did enjoy seeing your photographs and reading about the places you've visited..

    Here in the UK we have a three day Bank Holiday weekend and the weather has turned HOT so I'm keeping cool and hydrated.

    Enjoy your Memorial Weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to celebrate a special day and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I hope your three day weekend is pleasant. It's all clouds here. We are going to my oldest daughter's house for a cookout.

      Delete
  20. What an absolute dream of a weekend getaway, and a massive congratulations on 42 years since the day you met! Rhonemus Cellars looks spectacular, and getting a private tour of their wine cave must have made the anniversary toast feel even more special. I love the painting of the Royal Dansk cookie tin turned sewing kit that is a brilliant slice of shared human experience captured as fine art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melody. We really enjoyed that winery and wish it was closer to us. Everyone seems to have really enjoyed the Royal Dansk painting.

      Delete
  21. The arboretum looks like a lovely place to spend a day. I gasped at seeing the cypress swamp---how the heck? I had no idea that could even be real that far north!

    The Cookie Tin art is very clever, but the desk? Is that art? I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder.

    Sign me up for the winery and a few nice meals--my favorite way to unwind. 😃

    I love that you guys are taking full advantage of your weekends and checking things off lists.
    Cheers to 42 years!! (we're right behind you, as we started dating in 1985)

    There are so many places I'd still like to see in Florida, but we're so far south that it takes forever to get anywhere, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cypress swamp was such a surprise! And yeah, anything can be art I suppose. Aren't wineries so much FUN?? So relaxing and the atmosphere is often either elegant and refined, much like you and me. Right?? LOL! I love that you guys met around the same time as we did. I think I recently read that it takes more than 8 hours to drive the length of Florida, not including Key West. There are plenty of places I'd like to explore in your state because we sure have loved all the places we've already been.

      Delete
  22. How did I miss this one?!

    My parents were just telling me about a winery for sale in their neck of the woods. I said they should buy it and spend the rest of their retirement running it. Turns out, as much as they enjoy wine, they'd rather not go to the trouble of managing a business. I guess I can't blame them for that.

    Happy anniversary! You two are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. It seems like running a business is exhausting, no matter what your age. I'll stick to just drinking the wine!

      Delete
  23. Thank you so much for putting together such a detailed and well-researched guide!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment