Photo Friday: Spring, Sprang, Sprung!

 I have had the most fabulous Spring. Here are the highlights:

I attended a lovely bridal shower. There was a flower cart with cut flowers and an array of thrifted vases in order to make your own floral bouquet. This was mine, using my favorite colors.


At the start of 2025, I decided it was time to make some new friends. There was nothing wrong with the friends I have, but many are busy with grandchildren, second careers, and retired spouses. I'm proud to say that I made two friends and one I've become very close with. She and I try new locally owned coffee shops on a monthly basis. 


Here is one of the more interesting ones that is Asian inspired.


My husband loves his bird houses, and this is the latest one. If you are familiar with the Aldi Aisle of Shame, that's where he found it. Sadly, it has remained vacant.


Another 'goal' of mine is to plan more double dates. We have six couples on rotation. A few of them love speakeasies as much as we do, so we have been trying new ones. Bonus points if they also serve delicious desserts, like this chocolate bomb.


Bucket List - Once in a Lifetime Experience check marked! We saw David Byrne at Playhouse Square in early May. Byrne was the lead singer and creative genius behind The Talking Heads, one of my favorite bands of all time. His current tour, 'Who Is the Sky?' features an ensemble of 13 musicians and dancers. 


While he performed many of his Talking Heads hits, about half of the material was new. The visuals were amazing, including this one of his NYC apartment where he spent time writing new songs during the pandemic. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that the show was amazing.


Middle Child's 2026 fairy garden. She creates a new one each year.


For my birthday, my husband took me downtown. We had dinner (salmon for me, short ribs for him) at Fahrenheit next to Public Square and then after dinner drinks and dessert (tiramisu) at Acqua Di Dea. Super fun evening out.


Middle Child gave me this pineapple hummingbird feeder for my birthday. How cute is that??


We attended the outdoor wedding of our dear friends' son. It had been raining for three days and the forecast was not good, but the bride was determined to have the ceremony outdoors, "come hell or high water." Clear umbrellas were provided. The minute the music started for the mother of the groom to walk down the aisle, we had a downpour of rain that continued while all the bridal party, including the bride and her father, walked to the pergola. As the ceremony started, the rain let up and the sun began shining. As the bridal procession began afterwards, my husband and I looked at each other and started cracking up. The music playing was 'Nothing Beats a Jet2 Holiday.'


The reception was in a greenhouse/conservatory. So pretty! After the reception, we took the shuttle provided back to our hotel, changed clothes, then went to the after party. It was at a wine lounge that we could walk to from the hotel. We stayed until 1 am. Sometimes the seniors can outlast the young'uns. Just sayin'.


Last weekend, we returned to Playhouse Square to see my husband's favorite comedian, Gary Gulman. We had dinner at my favorite Lebanese restaurant downtown beforehand. 

This week has marked the start of fabulous, warm weather here. I am looking forward to Summer and all it brings. And now I really am going on a blog break. Salut!

Comments

  1. I would say you did have a fabulous Spring!! What a fun way to really celebrate your Birthday month.
    Good for you on making new friends. It is a bit harder when we're older, but you give me hope. That chocolate bomb looks absolutely delicious. Middle Child is so creative. Her fairy garden is adorable.
    The wedding and reception sound lovely and I'm glad the rain cleared.
    Keep living it up my friend, you look amazing!! I hope July brings just as much fun and joy to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely more difficult to make new friends as we grow older, but totally worth the effort. My husband loves his chocolate, so when one of those bombs is on the menu, he gets excited 🤣. I’m super excited about our summer. I hope yours is wonderful!

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! I like the arches in that coffee shop. They'd give a bit more privacy than most places have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those booths are great. I’ve noticed other Asian places have ‘honeycomb’ styled seating that is more private.

      Delete
  3. You really have had a terrific springtime. I love the idea of making your own arrangement at a bridal shower; how fun! And dinner at Fahrenheit--love that place. The food is always so good, and you can tell that they care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower cart was so cute, and I loved all the thrifted vases of varying sizes. That was the first time I've had dinner at Fahrenheit, and everything was really good. I'd only been there for an after-dinner drink at the bar before and we had flaming baked Alaska, which was really fun!

      Delete
  4. I love this post so much, my friend. So many good things to comment on.

    First, I'm so proud of you for making fun changes in your life! I love that you found two new friends - that isn't always easy to do at this stage of life. I'm so happy for you.

    I love that your husband loves bird houses! This makes me happy too!

    Six couples on rotation made me laugh so hard. 🤣🤣

    I love your middle child without ever meeting her. She is my spirit human. Please tell her that I love her fairy garden so much.

    That wedding! LOVE. I also love the clear umbrella idea- so smart.

    I'm so glad we got another post from you! Enjoy your blog break! 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, May 2026 might have been my best May EVER! Just so many fun activities. I've been so happy to have two new friends, esp. the one who always has time to go to coffee shops with me! We are only a few months apart and she loves music as much as you and I do. It just seems like we have a lot in common.

      We probably have 7 bird houses now. All the other ones are traditional wooden ones. We have blue birds in one of them, which is really cool! I'm glad I made you laugh about the six couples on rotation. Gotta spread them out throughout the year! LOL!

      Middle Child is a very unique girl. Everyone that meets her loves her, if they take the time to get to know her. I can't wait for a few upcoming trips, but I will pop in here and there to see what you're doing. XO

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed that you made two new friends. I have a lot of trouble making new friends. I'm also impressed that the son's bride was determined to have an outside ceremony whatever the weather. The David Byrne concert must have been good. I like the Talking Heads too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can definitely be difficult to meet new people unless you really put yourself out there. The Talking Heads were (and still are) groundbreaking. I just can't get enough!

      Delete
  6. I'm a sucker for birdhouses too. Whenever we go to a vintage store, I'm always on the lookout. In fact, I have a mushroom one similar to your husband's. No birds in mine yet either, but it's in a high-traffic area out front. We'll see if anyone with feathers is brave enough to build a nest there. (By the way, I love the pineapple hummingbird feeder. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!)

    Enjoy your "real" blog break and your upcoming trip out west!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun to find some vintage birdhouses. We seem to just get sparrows (or maybe they are wrens - I can't tell the difference) but finally got blue birds this year. Isn't that pineapple the cutest thing?? I can't wait to do some traveling this summer!

      Delete
  7. May 2026 is definitely going down in the history books as a winner. First of all, your husband finding that mushroom birdhouse in the Aldi Aisle of Shame is incredibly relatable—that aisle claims another victim!
    Crossing David Byrne off your bucket list, trying out speakeasy chocolate bombs, and celebrating your birthday downtown sounds like pure fun. Have a wonderful, relaxing summer trip out west, and enjoy the screen break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That aisle is so addictive! Thank you for the well wishes and I hope you and yours have a marvelous summer!

      Delete
  8. Me too, my friend, I had a fabulous spring as well! For some reason, the flowers this spring were not only abundant, but their colors were exquisite. In fact, I'm still spending days outside taking photos. For some reason, with the intense winter weather we had, I didn't think spring would be that plentiful.

    I think it's awesome that you (and your friend) try new locally owned coffee shops. I'm the same. I like trying different coffee shops in the city, just for the heck of it. Philly has SO MANY coffee shops. The city is filled with a plethora of coffee shops and cheese steak sandwich shops Lol! And I absolutely love that Asian coffee shop! Those seating areas are so cool-looking. Also, that shop looks incredibly clean and organized.

    "Bonus points if they also serve delicious desserts, like this chocolate bomb." -- that looks INSANELY delicious.

    Whenever I hear a song from The Talking Heads, I am immediately transported back to the 80s, which is one of my favorite decades for music, film, and TV shows. That show sounded A-MAZING.

    That pineapple hummingbird feeder is adorable!

    And how fabulous about the outdoor wedding! The weather angels were watching out for her!

    It's true, because I work with all young'uns, and they always say to me, "How do you have so much energy at 70 years old?? You never get tired!"

    Fun and fabulous post, my friend! As usual. The weather has been gorgeous here. Sunny and not too warm. I've been taking a lot of walks during the week.

    Have a terrific weekend and blog break!

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've been enjoying Spring outdoors, too. It's always good to hear from you!
      I've noticed so many coffee shops opening up lately, which makes me so happy. My only complaint is that most of them close around 2 pm. My husband and I have often wanted to go to a coffee shop after dinner with friends instead of a bar, but we can never find one that's open. Even Starbucks seems to shut down around here by 8 or 9 pm.

      It's funny you mentioned not being tired because I rarely feel tired either. I think it's because I exercise and really cut out sugar and carbs. It definitely gives me more energy. I hope your summer is a good one, Ron! XO

      Delete
  9. Great post ...
    It looks and sounds a very good Spring... and it's always nice to make new friends.
    I like the look of Middle Child's 2026 fairy garden.
    Enjoy your blog break as you look forward to summer!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fairy garden is always a hit when we have friends on our deck. Have a wonderful summer, Jan!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a wonderful Spring! I attended a bridal shower where you could make a bouquet of flowers to take home. No vases though. I guess that must be the new bridal shower thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is a new thing! I thought it was such a cute idea and my flowers lasted over two weeks. Everyone's creation was so different.

      Delete
  11. I love this update---so many good things happening in your life and I enjoy how you document and share them with us.
    I had a HUGE giggle at the Jet2 holiday song! Hilarious. The reception and the afterparty sound delightful!
    How fun that you are intentionally making friends and double dates. I really need to do the latter...we get so darn busy sometimes!
    Wouldn't you love to dive into David Byrnes' brain? He's such a genius, so he must be totally weird too, right? I mean, OUR kind of weird, which is the good kind.
    Happy belated birthday! I love the fairy garden and the pineapple hummingbird feeder; your daughter is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy my updates, Suz. I love yours as well. I wonder how many people recognized the Jet2 music? Double dates are so fun!!! It takes effort, but we love catching up with other couples.
      After hearing David Bryne speaking live, I'm fairly certain he's on the spectrum, which explains a LOT! He definitely thinks outside the box. When he introduced the song, 'And She Was,' he told how he wrote it in high school about a girl who was always 'happy.' He asked her why that was and found out she laid in a field by the Yoo-hoo factory in town and took LSD. If you listen to the lyrics, it totally makes sense. Crazy!!! And hilarious! Have a wonderful summer and I will pop in to visit your blog because I 'don't want to miss a thing!' :)

      Delete
    2. I am dying about the happy LSD user! Hilarious ~Suz

      Delete
  12. Wow, Bijoux, you started summer with a bang. I'm exhausted just reading about it.

    I heartily applaud your wonderful goals of making new friends and planning more double dates.

    The David Byrne concert looks amazing. I had no idea that he was still touring and writing new material.

    I love the pineapple bird feeder and I finally learned about the Aldi's Aisle of Shame. And the wedding seemed like quite an affair.

    You have inspired to put the down the remote, retire my excuses and get my butt out the door.

    I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob. I hope your summer is a special one. Keep your eyes peeled for a David Byrne sighting!

      Delete
  13. Sure looks like you had a good time. Lovely wedding and reception. I like bird houses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I hope your summer is a good one.

      Delete
  14. You've been busy. The wedding sounds nice except for the rain, what a bummer. I like your birdhouses and your flowers. I don't know the musical group you saw, but am glad you got to it since it was a bucket list thing for you. Hope your blog break isn't very long. The ferry garden is adorable. I keep wanting to put one in the yard somewhere, but have thought about it now for several years and haven't done it. Never thought of doing it in a large planter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandy. The fairy garden in a planter works well for us. We have too many squirrels and chipmunks to put on in the yard. They dig up everything! Have a wonderful summer.

      Delete
  15. A lot of fun Spring events and belated Happy 🎂 Birthday wishes to you, Bijoux. Your daughter did a very nice fairy garden, so kudos to her. Making new friends can be harder as we age, so glad to read about your new ones and going to the coffee bars sounds like fun. We only have a couple of coffee places in Nashua, NH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Visiting different coffee shops has become a fun hobby. We have new ones pop up on a monthly basis, but we are willing to drive 25 minutes or so to get to them. I'm surprised you don't have more. Have a beautiful summer and I look forward to reading where your travels take you.

      Delete
  16. My husband went to see that David Byrne show. He also loved it.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  17. That does sound like a great spring! Good for you making new friends. I tell myself all the time I need to do that too, especially since my best friend moved to Georgia and my other best friend works 2 jobs, so girl time just doesn't happen much anymore. It's hard to make them as an adult, but I am getting to know my book club ladies more so who knows if friendships will blossom there.

    The pineapple bird feeder is so cute! As is the fairy garden!

    The bride sure had a wedding one won't soon forget, it seems!

    It's getting hot and muggy here, but thankfully the cool down period is on the horizon. People are already complaining about the heat and I'm like "shut it! In a few short months we're all going to be bundling up again just to go to the grocers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do make a friend at book club. Does your spouse work with anyone who has a wife your age? That is how I found one of my new friends. I invited her out for coffee, and we found out we had a lot in common. It helps that my husband has always liked that particular co-worker.

      LOL on the people complaining about the heat already. It's not like we don't have AC blasting everywhere we go! I'll take this over snow or 20 below temps anyday!

      Delete
    2. My husband works for me, so no luck finding friends through him LOL. I think it's hard for me because I had my kids when I was 19 and 23, so I was a young mom. The women I meet my age started their families later in life, so they are still doing the young children or have family life to work around. I don't have children at home or grandchildren yet, and I'm at a point in my life that I want to do adult outings without kids tagging along or even just sit in our living rooms and have conversation without a kid needing to interrupt every 5 minutes. I know that sounds selfish, but I've been taking care of kids since I was 15 and I just want to have a few years of not catering to littles before my own grandkids come along and I'm centering my days around children again. So

      Delete
    3. I totally get that, Theresa! I had my kids at an earlier age compared to now (26, 28, 31) and I'm still noticing the difference in life stages, as most of my friends don't have grandkids yet and many of their kids are not even married. When we go out with friends, some still have kids texting them asking questions! It's kind of annoying - LOL!

      Delete
  18. Making new friends can be tough, but going on monthly coffee shop dates to find places like that cool Asian-inspired spot is such a fun way to do it. That story about the rainy outdoor wedding had me laughing out loud, talk about perfect comedic timing with the sun coming out right as the "Jet2 Holiday" music started playing! From checking David Byrne off your bucket list to enjoying those fancy date-night desserts and staying out until 1 am, you definitely proved that you can outlast the younger crowd. Enjoy your well-deserved blog break, and have a wonderful start to your summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melody! Hope you are having a great Summer!

      Delete
  19. Sorry I'm so late in getting back to comment. was reading here and there while creating the video for Curly. I hope your blog break is relaxing.

    New friends - that's amazing. I recently made a new friend too and we both keep saying that it's hard to believe that we just met. Feel like I've known her forever. The pineapple bird feeder is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you found a new friend too! I'm meeting up with mine tomorrow to try out a new coffee shop and walk in a nice park. Enjoy the sun!

      Delete
  20. Late to the party, but a) that is a great dress, b) love the pineapple, c) rain on the wedding day eeeep, d) the fairy garden is delightful, and e) enjoy your break, my friend!!! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll be back to check in our you and your big adventures soon! XO

      Delete
  21. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds, and wondering what you're currently up to. Maybe catching your breath!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Waving hi, as I make my blog rounds again. Hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that hummingbird feeder! I've never seen a pineapple one before. Do you know where she got it?

    The flower cart sounds like a fun idea, and your bouquet is gorgeous. I always like party favors like that so much more than a bag of plastic junk that just gets thrown away.

    Good for you for getting out and making more friends. That can be so hard as an adult, but life is definitely better with friends. I am so thankful for the friends we've made in our Silent Book Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She got it at Tractor Supply. It's a weird store, IMO, but they do have some interesting things. You should write about Silent Book Club! I've heard of those, but don't know anyone who's been in one.

      Delete

Post a Comment