Velvet Elvis

Every once in a while, a book will strike a chord with me and I will recommend it to everyone I know. Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell is one of those books. It's a book about Christianity and it gave me so many new thoughts to chew on. Some of you may have already read it, since it was published a few years back. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I'll share some of my favorite quotes from the book:

You rarely defend the things you love. You enjoy them and tell others about them and invite others to enjoy them with you.

If God is love, is every experience of love an experience of God? Is every experience of God an experience of love?

Christian is a great noun and a poor adjective.

In the same way that something can be labeled "Christian" and not be true, something can be true and not be labeled Christian.

Missions is less about the transportation of God from one place to another and more about the identification of a God who is already there. The issue isn't so much taking Jesus to people who don't have him, but going to a place and pointing out to the people there the creative, life-giving God who is already present in their midst.

God is really heavy - you can't carry Him places.

Our story is God's story. So many of us have been conditioned to think of our faith as solely an issue of us and God. But faith is a communal experience. A shared journey.

I am not defined by what I am not.

I meet so many people who have a superwhatever rattling around in their head. They have this person they are convinced they are supposed t be, and their superwhatever is killing them. You have to kill your superwhatever.

Following Jesus doesn't mean your problems will go away. Following Jesus may bring on problems you never imagined.

What does Jesus do almost as much as He teaches and heals? He eats long meals. As Christians, it is our duty to master the art of the long meal. . . . . . and what does this meal consist of? Hours of talking and sharing and enjoying each other's presence. . . . . . time spent around the table with each other is time spent with God.

One of the central metaphors for God and His people throughout the Bible is that of a groom and His bride. God is the groom; His people are the bride. The church is a she. She's a mystery. She's global. She's universal. In every generation there will be those who see her beauty and give their lives to see her shine. Jesus said the gates of hell will not prevail against her. She will continue to roll across the ages, serving and giving and connecting people with God and each other. And people will abuse her and manipulate her and try to control her, but they'll pass on. And she will keep going.

And my personal favorite: God has spoken and the rest is commentary, right?

Let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a peaceful Advent season and many good things in the new year. I'll be taking a break from any lengthy posts until after the holidays are over, but I'll continue to spread the comment love to you all. Merry Christmas!

Comments

  1. I've heard about this book, but haven't read it. Sounds like another one I need to read between semesters.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you!

    I haven't read this but now I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bit about 'Following Jesus doesn't mean your problems will go away'? True dat. With a capital TRUE.

    Like Phyllis, I've seen/heard of this book, but haven't read it yet. I should probably give it a look, since it keeps coming up. And Rob Bell's church is only about an hour's drive from us. . .

    God bless your Advent, C. I absolutely sympathize. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am certainly intrigued by the snippets you've shared especially the ones that turn conventional thinking on its ear. thanks for the book suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of this book (and shelved it) many times, but have yet to read it. It's been on my 'read this soon' list forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The points you've highlighted from the book sure do cause you to pause and contemplate. The book sounds interesting, so glad to hear it challenging the sometimes thoughtless thought, and 'Christian ezee' that is all to prevalent. It would make for some interesting discussion/debate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "You have to kill your Superwhatever."

    Somehow this reminded me ever so slightly of You Me and Dupree when Dupree is talking about your "-ness".

    Just sounded like the same persona talking, is all. Made me smile.

    Good quotes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, shoot......seems that no one has read the book! If you do get the chance to pick it up, it's a quick read and I'd love to hear back from you.

    Flutter - I know what you're talking about in that movie. Oddly enough, it's one of about 10 non-kid movies I've seen in the past 20 years! (Husband & I aren't movie goers or renters)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading books concerning religion and the perspective others have on them. I may not always agree (some of the quotes are not up my alley) but I will always have an open ear to others opinions.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this book, but it sounds interesting.
    Thanks for sharing the 411.

    Hope your holidaze are just as jolly as ever, French Maid sistah! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just discovered your blog. Wonderful stuff! You are definitely going on my list of daily reading. Well, okay, I'm not that reliable. But frequent reading...how about that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike - I agree about being open minded to others' beliefs.

    LB - Ho Ho Ho........

    Em - WOW! Thank you so much! I like your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read it a couple years ago. Do I win something?

    ReplyDelete
  14. FTN - Finally! Care to comment on the book or do you not really remember it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Christian is a great noun and a poor adjective." Such a powerful quote, even if it hasn’t aged well. I can’t wait to dive into this book. 🖤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment