Week 35, 36 & 37: Beer, Angels & Waterfalls

I'm playing catch up! Here are some new things that I've been doing over the past 3 weeks.
 

My husband and I visited another new microbrewery on Week 35. This is becoming the Year of the Brewery for us! We went to the 'soft opening' of Ohio Brewing Company. I have to say, I don't think we've ever been one of the first people to go anywhere, ever! We had a decent lunch there and shared this clever tasting board. Neither of us thought the beers were anything too special or out of the ordinary, but it was a fun way to spend a Sunday.

Afterwards, we walked around the revitalized town. These waterfalls are the main draw. Along with the brewery, they have wisely built up the area with restaurants, shops, and a hotel. Much different from how rundown it was when I was a kid.

The following week, I tried a new 3.5 mile hiking trail with a friend. It is a connector trail that joins a main road to the national park. I really liked it. It was shaded and had numerous mini waterfalls along the path. The only bad part (or so I thought) was that it was downhill first and then uphill on the way back. My friend had mentioned that there was a quarry located there years ago, so I went home and researched it on the internet. Came upon a bunch of websites about the area being haunted and a Native American burial ground. I will admit, the fact that it was sort of dark and deserted did lend a spooky atmosphere to it all. I will go back, but never alone (which I wouldn't do anyway)!

Last week, my Blogger friend Betty did a post about being a Chemo Angel. I liked the idea so much, that I looked into it and decided to become a Card Angel. You are assigned a chemo patient and send a card or two each week with a cheerful letter. I've been looking for volunteer opportunities, but they usually involve a commitment that is difficult for me, because I drive my daughter to and from work every day, and her schedule varies. Being a Card Angel is easy because I can do it on my own time and it's in my skill set (I have no problem writing letters to a stranger). You go into the program knowing that you will likely not hear back from the patient and the only contact that you should have within the program is by mail. To learn more, go to www.chemoangels.com

Comments

  1. Bijoux, congratulations on becoming a card angel! What a kind, thoughtful thing to do! I'm so proud to say that we're friends!

    And keep up those brewery adventures. I lost my taste for beer a long time ago, but I love reading about your adventures amongst the suds.

    That hiking trail does look a little spooky, so you're smart not to venture there on your lonesome.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob. I sent out my first card today. I did not know that you don't drink beer. Do you like wine? And I never walk alone unless it's in my own neighborhood or the main sidewalk going into town. Too many weirdos out there in the parks, unfortunately!

      Delete
  2. I don't drink beer, however, I LOVE that first photograph of the various beer colors on that clever tasting board! It funny because I love the smell of beer, just not the taste. One of my favorite things to do is to go into a beer pub and just inhale the aroma. Love it!

    BEAUTIFUL shots of the waterfalls. And that trail sounds fabulous! I love anything with a haunted or spooky past.

    That final photographs of the sunflowers is spectacular! WOW! I've never seen a field that LARGE of sunflowers.

    And thank so much for sharing about chemoangels because I'm going to head over there right after I post this comment and sign up. Sound like a wonderful program!

    Have a FAB week, my friend! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny that you like the aroma of beer. I've been on a few spooky hikes with friends, but this one I didn't know that the area is supposedly haunted until after I went. And its crazy that it did seem creepy to me!!!

      I should have noted that the sunflower pic is not mine. I chose it because Chemo Angels uses sunflowers on their main page. Enjoy your week, too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout out and for signing up to be a Chemo Angel! I really do enjoy it though it is hard sometimes to find little trinkets to send, but you don't have to as a card angel (which I think I will do next time around). A hint if you need things to write about. When it is time around a holiday like Easter or Memorial Day, etc., I always wrote about traditions I did growing up or traditions I had with my kids and what we do know. That was good for a letter! You will get the likes/dislikes of your person when assigned and they'll say if they celebrate Christmas, if they are religious, etc. Do join the Facebook group because there are tons of information on there. I rarely post on it but pick up great ideas from other more experienced angels. Its a closed group so no one can see your info other than your name.

    That looks like a pretty area to hike in, but I agree, always go with a friend!

    That's cool though in this year of keeping track of things that you noticed the trend for microbreweries. Its a fun thing to look forward to and then compare one to the other.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty! I'm so glad you wrote about Chemo Angels because I never would have heard about it otherwise. I was assigned someone within just a few days, which I guess is rare, so I already mailed a card today. Good idea about writing news holiday-related! Yes, I didn't think I could handle being a Gift Angel, but if I see something that my person likes from their bio sheet, I will pick it up for her. Thanks again for the great idea and cause!

      Delete
  4. beautiful photos and it appears to be a wonderful place for a new brewery. Flowing water is always an attaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These beer flights are becoming kind of a thing for you, aren't they? ;)

    I love waterfalls. How nice to have some nice ones so close at hand. . .

    And God bless you for your angelic commitment. That's kindness above and beyond. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flight thing is fun, just to try new styles and flavors without the commitment! Waterfalls are so peaceful, unless it's Niagara! The card angel thing is right up my alley and I am very happy to do it.

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of chemo angels or card angels over here. They sound like really good ideas. It must make a big difference to a cancer patient to get a friendly card from someone. So can a person be assigned any number of card angels or is it just the one?

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure if there are multiple angels per person or not. There is another category called Gift Angels that send small packages, so maybe they get both kinds of angels if desired.

      Delete
  6. What a gentle and kind person you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliment and the visit.

      Delete
  7. Hi. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Card angel sounds lovely. Fifteen years ago when I was going through treatment for cancer my co-workers and some of the agencies that we dealt with worked together to send me cards for the whole 8 months. The encouragement and the knowledge that others were thinking of me meant so much to me that I still have all of them. Your efforts will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and for letting me know that the cards were an encouragement to you!

      Delete
  8. That would be interesting to go to a ghostly spot and see what one can see, maybe not in the dark, just because one wouldn't want to get stuck there.

    Great thing to do with the card indeed. Sure learn a lot in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm both intrigued and freaked out about haunted places! And yes, blogs are chock full of new info!

      Delete
  9. Chemo angel's now that's a good thing to do. I've never heard of it so I'm glad that you posted about it. I think that's a wonderful thing to do.

    I love waterfalls. There's a couple here up in the Mount Charleston mountains that we've hiked to years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's aunt and uncle took us to Mt. Charleston on my first visit to Vegas in 1996. Such a beautiful spot!

      Delete
  10. Nice to hear they have revitalized Cuyahoga Falls. I don't remember ever visiting there, but I've been to towns that have undergone dramatic positive transformations and it's always so nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really nice to see different towns and parts of bigger cities be transformed and then everyone comes back. It's been tough since all the department stores left and no one had a reason to go into downtown anymore, besides work.

      Delete
  11. I'd never heard of chemo angels, but I think that's a wonderful idea. What a great thing to do. My girlfriend went through chemo about 18 months ago and I know how important it is to have some positive things - even little ones - happening, and getting some encouragement.

    I'm just discovering (slowly) my taste for beer again. I used to drink it when I was younger, and then stopped. I've been getting advice on breweries around here and have a list of them to visit...ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to be supportive, even from afar.
      My son said the only thing he saw people drink in Germany was beer!

      Delete
  12. I love the sunflower picture! It's so nice to see a town revitalize itself like that. I think it's smart when they work with a natural draw like waterfalls. Greenville, SC has done that. When I was a kid, you did NOT go downtown. Now they've fixed it up really well, and there's a lot of walking paths along the Reedy River, as well as shops and restaurants.

    I'm going to go check out Betty's post, and the link for chemo angels. I'm somewhat interested in it for myself, but it sounds like the kind of volunteer opportunity made for my M-I-L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greenville sounds nice and I agree, build tourism around a natural feature. Let me know if you become an Angel.

      Delete
  13. You're like me... I feel like I'm constantly trying to catch up. I swear life will slow down eventually. - Did you know your hiking trail was haunted before you went? I'm always up for a good haunting and now I'll be sure and check out some places before I go "just in case." :) - Thanks for passing on the Chemo Angel site. I'm a stage 4 lymphoma survivor. I would love to be a card angel. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that area was haunted when I went. It was really creepy to read some of the stuff online afterwards. I'm going to go back and take my husband!

      I'm sending out my 3rd card tomorrow. I wrote about the animals we have in our area and what we grow in our garden, since my person is from another area of the country. Hopefully I won't run out of things to write about!

      Delete
  14. I think that is wonderful. I am going to check on it. Thanks for commenting on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could do far worse than having a year of breweries! The sunflowers are gorgeous.

    You know, I signed up for the chemo angels program when I was in chemo and had both a card angel and a gift angel. The card angel wrote me chatty little notes about her life and I always thought it really odd that she never talked about her own cancer experience. I couldn't understand the point, really, of just hearing about a stranger's life. I had just assumed that all the chemo angels were cancer survivors. But apparently not! I'm guessing now that my card angel wasn't and suddenly her notes make a lot more sense. So a recommendation which you can take or leave - in the cards at least reference what the person is going through - wish them strength and hope and healing. Acknowledge that they are going through something really difficult to improve their odds. I'd have found that a lot more encouraging than just random tidbits about someone else's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I'm glad you told me that. In the detailed instructions, we are told to keep everything positive and cheerful and to not ask anything about their treatment or give details about our own or family members' cancer experiences. It specifically says to not ask ANY questions, as we are not to expect a response. This is the hardest part for me, because it seems rude to just talk about myself! I'm going to remember what you said, as I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring what she's going through.

      Delete
    2. That's interesting - then possibly the person had dealt with cancer but just wasn't allowed to say. I kind of wished they'd told me up front about those instructions so I'd have understood that.

      Delete
    3. The goal seems to be to give the person something else to think about, rather than cancer. My husband said he would have no interest in getting notes from a stranger if he was going through chemo, but I think I'd appreciate it. Different strokes!

      Delete
    4. Bijoux, I hope you'll do a post about Chemo Angels, and what you're writing. I signed up to be a Card Angel after I read your post and Betty's. I'm only a week in, but like you, it seems so rude to me to write letters that are all about what I'm doing without even so much as a "how are you". Have you looked at "What to Write" section of the website? That's somewhat helpful.

      Delete
    5. Danielle, I left a comment on your blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment