Let's Talk Tuesday: God Winks

For those not familiar with the term, a God Wink can be defined as a remarkable coincidence that is seen as a sign of divine intervention. I can't say I've experienced many of them, but thought I'd share one in particular that I think about often.


We purchased our current home in 2012. I've mentioned before that the original owner loved pink. Pink carpeting, pink countertops, pink sinks. And these pink tulips etched into the mirror above the gas fireplace. It's about the only pink that's remained in our house.

Around the time we moved in, my oldest daughter graduated from college and began her RN career in a hospital, where she met her future spouse. A few months after they began dating, she told me how he had lost one of his sisters in a tragic car accident. His sister was in college at the time and was struck head on by a driver going the wrong way on the highway. I cried about it for days, just imagining what his family had gone through. It's a heartbreaking story.

After my daughter and this young man were engaged, I invited his family over for dinner so that we could meet for the first time. They were only here about five minutes when his mother grabbed his father's arm and pointed to the tulips over the fireplace. Then they showed me their wrists. Both have a tattoo of a tulip. Their daughter who had died loved tulips and would always sign her name with a  drawing of a pink tulip. A copy of her drawing is on her gravestone and their other daughter also has a tulip tattoo (my son-in-law has a tattoo in memory of his sister, but it is a different symbol). When they saw the tulips at our house, they felt that it was a sign from God and their daughter that their son had chosen the right girl to marry.

Three kids and almost 10 years later, they weren't wrong.


My granddaughter, whose middle name carries on the memory of her beloved aunt.

Do you have any God Wink stories?


Comments

  1. "...they felt that it was a sign from God and their daughter that their son had chosen the right girl to marry."

    OMG, I instantly had chills and teared up reading that. How BEAUTIFUL!

    And yes, I totally believe in God Winks. In fact I read the series of books. There is even a Hallmark movie series.

    I've experienced many God Winks throughout my life. But I only started noticing them back in 2001, when I moved back to Philadelphia and my life (which I've posted about on my blog), fell completely apart. And it continued to fall about for the first three years. It was the most scariest and vulnerable time in my life. But slowly things started to change, and my life came together again through a series of God Winks that guided me.

    And as challenging as that period was, I look back on it as the most amazing period in my life. Because I was shown that in times when we feel the most powerless, we are actually the most powerful.

    And I needed to learn that.

    Another time I experienced a God Wink was when I was in the hospital for two weeks, which I know you know about. Again, through a series of God Winks, I came out the other side and learned why I needed to go through that.

    FABULOUS post, my friend! Thank you for sharing. As soon as I read the title, I knew I was going to love it!

    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never forget that moment as I had no idea about the tulip connection. I remember when those books came out because my best friend at the time was going through a terrible divorce at the time and the books gave her so much meaning and hope. I’m so glad you’ve experienced some and I knew you’d understand and appreciate this post. Have a great week, Ron. I’m sending you lots of rain!

      Delete
  2. Oh Bijoux this is a wonderful example of a God Wink. This brought me to tears and gave me chills. Such a wonderful memory for you all.
    I have experienced a few myself but nothing this big and profound. The photo of your granddaughter is so precious and how awesome for her middle name to be Tulip.
    I loved this post!! Thank you for sharing this, it will make it a better day for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has stuck with me all these years. And I guess I didn’t word the final caption correctly because my granddaughter’s middle name is not tulip, but the first name of her aunt (my SIL’s sister) who has passed.

      Delete
  3. Ah! That took my breath away. What an incredible thing. I have never heard the expression God Wink before, but that is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a WOW moment. I think about it every time I look at those tulips.

      Delete
  4. What a heart breaking loss. I cannot begin to imagine. I don't know that I've ever heard f a God wink, but your story nails it. To think, that's the only pink you kept. So touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known a fair number of people who have lost children and it is the most heartbreaking thing to witness, let alone go through. That etching will always hold a special place in our hearts, even though we did not choose it.

      Delete
  5. That is such a wonderful story and a true God wink. I love those tulips etched on the mirror and you must be so glad you kept them there now! I've only known a few people who have lost children and I can't imagine how they got through it. Especially if it was a young child. I don't have any God wink stories but I'm sure there have been a few in my life. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we replaced the brass fireplace with the black doors, but glad we kept the tulips. I hope your Spring is going well!

      Delete
  6. Goodness, that's an awful lot of tulips! It certainly looks like she was the right girl to marry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, Bijoux. I feel like I have had a few God winks myself. Most of them came after my Mom passed away. It just felt like she was sending some messages as best she could to let me know it was going to be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is wonderful that you felt your mom’s presence like that after she passed. That must have given you some peace.❤️

      Delete
  8. Oh my heart. I love this story, aside from such a tragic loss. (As a mom, I just can't imagine how you can possibly go on, but I think about how my Mom carried on after losing my brother so young)
    I love the coincidence of the tulips...I mean, they aren't exactly the most common flower, right? This was a God Wink for sure.
    I know I've had some in my life, but can't think of one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can relate to what my son-in-law goes through at times. I know her birthday is a rough day for the family. Isn’t that crazy about the tulips?

      Delete
  9. Oh, friend, you know how much I love these types of stories. It was definitely a sign.
    I have a note on my phone titled "synchronicities," which is another name for God Winks. That note is at least two pages long. I started keeping track in 2020, during lockdown.
    Maybe I'll write a post someday. Thank you for inspiring me.
    Sending love to your daughter, son-in-law, and their family. 💕
    (Your granddaughter is adorable)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to read your post someday. Thanks for the love and yes, that granddaughter is a big personality along with being so darn cute.

      Delete
  10. I have never heard that term before, but I like it. I'm sure I have had some God Winks over the years, but none that are coming to mind at the moment. What a beautiful story about your daughter and her husband. I'd leave those tulips up there forever at that point. Or, if you ever move, I'd see about removing them and gifting it to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we’re not changing much more with this house, besides paint. I can’t take anymore remodeling. The mirror would likely break if it was removed because it’s encased in the wall. There’d be no way to grab it on the side.

      Delete
    2. I hear you. I am so over remodeling! We've been working on our house for 15 years and I don't even want to mess with paint at this point.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, you guys have been nonstop with it!

      Delete
  11. This is such an amazing story! I've long believed there are no such things as coincidences. My life has been full of God Winks...so many, it's impossible to name them all. Congrats to "the kids" on their almost-10-year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mark. Some things just aren’t coincidences at some point. And I can’t believe I have a kid whose been married that long!

      Delete
  12. Thanks, Bijoux, for sharing this story and explaining about a God-wink which I was not familiar with hearing before. I tried to think if I have ever had a similar coincidence and, while they may have been at least one, I wasn't able to recall it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s hard to remember even memorable experiences sometimes!

      Delete
  13. Oh, my goodness, Bijoux, what a beautiful story! I had not heard the term "God-wink" before but your family's story illustrates it perfectly. Blessings upon you and all the ones you love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's amazing!!!! ~B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No experiences like that are coming to mind for me.

    I feel so horrible for your Son-In-Law's family, though. It was horrible enough for my family when my grandparents were killed in a car crash (an idiot not paying attention), but I can't imagine what that would be like if it was a sibling or a child.

    On a side note, that is A LOT of pink! I love pink (I even painted my office at work pink), but I don't think I would want that much pink in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink was crazy!! The kitchen counters were the worst of it. We got rid of those within 9 months of moving in. I’m so sorry you lost your grandparents that way. What a tragedy to lose both at once😢

      Delete

Post a Comment