Recently, I saw a Tiktok of someone's childhood memory about her parents FORCING her to watch one of the Chucky movies. I was horrified until I read the comments of all the other people out there who were plopped down on the couch as children with a Chucky movie in the VCR. It was so outrageous to me that I laughed until I cried. I mean, WHO would do that to their kids??
I've also enjoyed threads on Reddit, where people discuss the ridiculous rules of their childhood. My favorites are the ones that have to do with potty habits, such as parents not allowing kids to eat past 6 pm because they believed this would prevent pooping in the middle of the night. WHAT?? It defies logic, but so did a lot of rules my husband and I grew up with. In my family, the rules focused on health and safety:
1. My mother dished out all of our meals onto our plates and my brother and I had to eat every single bite or we were not allowed to leave the table. Gee, I wonder where I get my food issues now?
2. We were also expected to consume a glass of orange juice in the morning, along with a multivitamin, plus a Vitamin E and Vitamin C pill. Now we know that orange juice in the morning is basically just a glucose high and doubling up on the vitamins was just money in the toilet.
3. I dealt with a lot of Old Wives' Tales Rules, such as no swimming after a meal, not going outside with a wet head, and not sitting too close to the television.
4. We were not allowed to go bare foot, ever. Socks at all times indoors and some sort of shoes outside always. My mom equated bare feet with getting sick and/or hillbillies.
This was the opposite of my husband's household, where all the rules revolved around saving money:
1. He and his four siblings were forbidden to wear socks around the house because holes in your socks just meant having to buy more socks. It was bare feet in summer and slippers in winter.
2. His family lived in a rural area, so many phone calls were long distance, even to classmates. They had a phone log next to the phone where each person had to write down every long-distance call made and then pay for the calls when the bill arrived.
3. Once the kids were old enough to drive, they also had to keep track of their mileage in a ledger in the car and then pay their father gas money based on the mileage (I'd be curious what the rate was back in the late '70's/early '80's).
4. Treats were rare and doled out in a mathematical fashion. My husband specifically remembers occasions where his mother bought Oreos and then counted out however many Oreos came in the pack, divided by five. You got them all at once and then he said you just ate them all at once, for fear that another sibling might find your hidden stash.
None of his rules are relatable to me and most of mine (besides #1) are not relatable to him. How about you? Do you look back on the rules of your childhood and think, 'What in the world??'

Your #3 is EXACTLY the same rule in my family. I think it was something "of that time."
ReplyDelete"My mom equated bare feet with getting sick and/or hillbillies."
OMG, that cracked me up! I instantly got a visual of the TV show, "The Beverly Hillbillies." Like your husband's childhood, we too wore slippers in winter. Do people even wear slippers anymore?!? Having grown up partially in Florida, I would either go barefoot, or if outside, I'd wear flip-flops. Now that I live in a city, I NEVER walk on our filthy sidewalks without totally enclosed shoes. Indoors, I'm barefoot. And yet, I see so many people in this city walking the sidewalks barefoot, while carrying their shoes. Ewwwwwww!
"I'd be curious what the rate was back in the late '70's/early '80's"
I Googled it - 39 cents per gallon in the 70s - $1.19 in the 80s.
Childhood rules:
In my family is was all about dressing nice and being well-groomed. We had to always look "put together" Even when we flew on an plane, we had to wear dress clothes. Which makes me laugh about how people dress when they fly now - they look like they just rolled out of bed and forgot to put on deodorant.
Our dress shoes had to be polished until then shined. Us boys had a shoeshine kit in the basement that was made of wood, with a lid that opened, containing everything we needed to polish our shoes. Even now, as an adult, I keep my dress shoes polished until they shine. I've even had people I work say, "Ron...your shoes are so shiny!" Lol!
I gotta' say, I'm still this way with being well-groomed.
FUN post, my friend! And remember, don't sit too close to the television. You'll go blind.
X
Yeah, my mom definitely had foot/shoe issues 🤣 considering I had to get rid of 300 pairs of shoes when I cleaned out her condo last year!!! She grew up very poor and her shoes were either hand me downs or ones bought at a goodwill type store. Honestly, my entire childhood was the repercussion of hers. If I didn’t laugh about it, I’d be in therapy!
DeleteHow gross that people are walking on city sidewalks without shoes. Aren’t they afraid of stepping on needles or broken glass? Yuck!
I definitely remember my mom wanting us to dress up the first time we flew, but I don’t know if I wore a dress or what? I did have to wear a skirt or dress to church every Sunday. That is very rare to see now unless it’s Easter. My husband still shines his shoes for work, but only a few times per year. I love dress shoes on men!
Thanks for stopping by so early, Ron! XO
Oh, the clean plate rule! That was for me as well. I have a very vivid memory of me sitting at the table, long after everyone had left and the kitchen had been cleaned up, crying because I just could not eat the liver on my plate. LIVER! I still remember how chewy and gross it was. That was the biggest rule I remember (and yes, wherever did we all get our food/ body issues from, it's a mystery).
ReplyDeleteOMG, that is horrific! My Dad hated liver, so we never once had it. I also have a memory of crying because I just couldn't eat meatloaf. I really never liked ground beef in any form, even hamburgers, but meat loaf was totally disgusting to me. I wrapped it in a napkin once and threw it away and my mom saw me do it. I was not allowed to go to a friend's birthday party after that. I never made my kids eat anything they didn't want to.
Deletemy nemesis was a fried egg and after 3 hours i put an end to that 'clean plate' nonsense by barfing all over the table...
DeleteAs I read your story about having to finish everything I remembered a very rare occasion (maybe the first time every) that my Dad took me to McDonalds when I was probably 10 and got me a happy meal and a milk shake. I didn't want to finish the milk shake but he insisted. Well 10 minutes later while in the car I threw it all up. That was the last time I was forced to finish something. lol One rule that my parents and both grandparents had was all meals were at the dining room or kitchen table. That is one rule that I kept in my house.
ReplyDeleteGood job teaching your Dad a lesson!!!! LOL!!!! We ate all of our meals at the table as well, but there wasn't really any other option because the house was small. We didn't have a coffee table in the living room or anywhere else to put a plate besides your lap.
DeleteThere were very few rules my parents had for us when we were children. One that comes to mind was everyone sat at the dinner table and stayed there until everyone was done eating. Also, my bedroom light had to be off and the door closed when I went to bed, in spite of me being petrified of the dark! They did have some weird old wives tales though, like don' t cross your eyes because if an angel flies in front of you they will stay that way! Or in my case my mom would not let me take a bath while on my period, I could shower but not immersing myself in water. I never did figure that one out!
ReplyDeleteI remember hearing about the rule regarding staying at the table until everyone was finished. We didn't do that since either my brother or I prolonged the meal by refusing to eat something! It was brutal. That was an interesting rule about periods! I think my mom told me to not shave above my knee, but I don't remember thinking I even needed to.
DeleteWell, I was raised by wolves, so there weren't too many rules for me. HA!
ReplyDeleteI remember not being able to swim at my Grandma's house for thirty minutes after we ate. I do remember my dad almost forcing me to eat a plate of liver and onions and I refused, so I sat there for hours.
Just call me HillBilly Suz because I was usually always barefoot, running around the 'hood!
I'm laughing about the division of the Oreo's. I suppose she was sick of one kid eating more than their share and causing fights. So, is your husband sensitive about money stuff? I mean, did any of that rub off on him?
Hi Hillbilly Suz!!! Thank goodness my Dad hated liver and onions when he was growing up. We were never subjected to that horror show! Good question about my husband. His parenting method was to go the other extreme and he has always been very free with his money when it comes to our kids.
DeleteI think everybody of a certain age or older was admonished regarding swimming after eating, sitting too close to the TV, etc. As parents, we just laughed every time some 'expert' came out with some new 'oh-my-gosh-you-have-to-do-this-or-your-children-will-die' pronouncement. Sleep your infant on his back; oh, my gosh, no! sleep your infant on his side. When I was a child, virtually all babies were bottle-fed, because 'science' is better than your own body for your own child. And on it goes. The 'experts' change their advice every few years, mostly so parents will spend money on the latest fad advice. . .
ReplyDeleteYes, I was also a bottle fed baby. And unfortunately, ate a lot of processed foods as a child. Lots of rules by parents and for parents, back in the day. I was way more laid back about everything and my kids all turned out great, if I say so myself!
DeleteI do remember so many of the old wives' tales! Random thought - I was watching a crime show last night about a girl who went missing was murdered in Reynoldsburg, Ohio in 1974, and it made me think about how lax our parents were at the time. They would send us outside all day until the lamppost turned on, and yet, we had these kinds of rules! It is truly a miracle that you and I are here. And Ron. And Craig up there. And Suz. And Lori. And Nicole.....🤣
ReplyDeleteI also remember that we had to eat together as a family, whereas many of my other friends didn't have such strict rules. Also, my mom (and grandma, who also lived with us) made a lot of homemade foods back then, while my friends and neighbors ate Oreos (maybe your husband was my neighbor?) and Hamburger Helper. I remember being very envious of that. Of Hamburger Helper. Could you imagine?
I see so many Gen X TikTok’s about playing outside all day. Not a parent to be seen for hours! Although my husband got Oreo’s occasionally, he really did not get much processed food, due to the expense. Wonder Bread, yes. Hostess cupcakes, no. My mom hated cooking and was all about convenience foods, so we had Hamburger Helper and Little Debbie’s. I was lucky🤣🤣🤣
DeleteOmgosh. The hillbilly comment. My dad was the same with blue jean overalls. Everybody was wearing them but not us because we weren't "damn hillbillies!" He was from Chicago so we gave him a pass. Oh, and we had to take a tablespoon full of everything on the table even if we didn't like it. So gross. And my dad always telling us, "your mother wouldn't feed you poison." He was way more confident of that than us kids were. Lol.
ReplyDeleteYou weren’t damn hillbillies! Hahaha! Sounds exactly like my house! I remember when overalls were popular, but I didn’t have any either. Though I think I just didn’t want them!
DeleteI've never seen the Chucky movies, but from what I know about them, it sounds absolutely nuts to force a child to watch them.
ReplyDeleteI kind of like your mom's socks and shoes rule. My dad is obsessed with socks and shoes, and my sister and I are kind of are now, too. Nick and Amy (my sister's girlfriend) both like to wear slide flipflops a lot, and it drives both of us crazy. Do you still wear socks/shoes all of the time?
A lot of the rules I grew up with were cult related (no dresses that showed knees or shoulders, music we could/couldn't listen to, how we had to spend most of our time, etc.). Some other rules were not being allowed to close our bedroom doors unless we were changing clothes, never being allowed to lock our bedroom doors, and always wearing sunscreen when we went outside during the summer (that one I think was/is actually a good one).
It’s completely insane to make a kid watch Chucky! I can’t stand the sound of flip flops, either. But I did let me daughters wear them. I go barefoot inside when it’s hot, but otherwise I wear socks. I do not do barefoot outside because I don’t think it’s safe with bees, etc.
DeleteI had rules around movies and music due to my mother’s Christian fundamentalist ideas. And we were not allowed to lock our bedroom doors, but we could shut them at least.
Bijoux, I honestly cannot recall rules from my childhood, but most likely they would have included those you cited as old wives' tales: no swimming after eating, don't go outdoors with wet hair, don't sit to close to the TV, also don't read without enough light or you will ruin your eyesight. We always ate meals together up, the only exception being if someone was working or not feeling well. I was trying to remember whether or not socks or no socks were worn in the house, but definitely know shoes came off at the door.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a lot of us had to follow the old wives’ tales. Yes, I also remember being told to not read in the dark. And eat carrots!
DeleteI don't remember many stupid rules when I was a kid. My mom was a single mom of 4 kids and worked 2, sometimes 3 jobs so it was basically every man for himself day to day. We did have multivitamins but we willingly took them because we thought they tasted good LOL.
ReplyDeleteI remember going out to eat with a friend and we went to a buffet and she warned me to only put very small portions on the plate because her dad would make us all sit until every last bite was eaten from our plates. I remember really not enjoying that outing because I was stressed the whole time about portion sizes and holding up the family while I forced myself to eat what I grabbed or having to eat something I may not have liked once it was on my plate. I can't imagine living like that every single day!
Another Flintstone vitamin consumer! I remember them mostly getting stuck in my molars🤣 That sounds like a stressful buffet! We did go out to eat a lot, but I don’t remember the home rules applying at restaurants, which doesn’t make much sense 🤷♀️
Delete10 million strong, and growing! I still have that Flintstones commercial stuck in my head LMAO! They did get stuck in the molars. It was almost like a candy for us though since we rarely got sweets. I wonder if they'd taste like chalk to me now.
DeleteI totally forgot about that commercial! Ok, my Middle Child takes a Flintstones with Iron (I couldn’t find anything she could swallow) so I’ll ask her about the taste.
DeleteWell I can surely relate to a lot of YOUR rules, especially the old wives tales ones. We were scared shitless of my father figure shadow douchebag, but once he was out of the picture and my mother got so stressed raising us I knew most rules went out the window.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a stressful situation all around. Thanks for stopping by.
DeleteNever go barefoot outside and wear socks or shoes inside. Socks had to be hand-washed, never put in the washing machine.
ReplyDeleteIf I lost interest in my bowl of ice cream and it melted, the bowl with the ice cream and spoon were frozen and it was given to me the next night for dessert meaning I had to wait for the spoon to thaw enough so I could eat my dessert.
Those are the two that pop into my mind but I'm sure there were many more. My parents loved rules.
Hand washing socks is a new one to me. Were they that delicate?🤷♀️🤣 That is too funny about the ice cream. I don’t think I would have ever not finished a bowl of ice cream, so that was never an issue at my house.
DeleteMy mother was convinced that the elastic in knee socks was damaged in the washing machine, therefore no socks in there. We forever had socks drying on the towel racks and shower curtain rod in the bathroom. 😑
DeleteThat would have driven me nuts!
DeleteYour husbands house sounds a bit like prison, but I guess if you have a lot of kids you need to be strict.
ReplyDeleteIt was a fairly regimented childhood. I would have hated it.
DeleteMy mom made food and we had to sit at the table until we ate it all.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it seems like that was a rule in a lot of households and now we all have eating disorders.
DeleteWell you read an example of my parenting on my blog so I have no idea how this will play out when he's older. The goal was to let them know that they can tell us stuff even if it might be wrong or inappropriate to build that trust so when something really big comes up they will talk to us. My mom also went by a lot of those old wives tales that you mentioned. I also think eating everything on your plate is not the best way to approach feeding the kiddos. I have a relative that does that when his kids and I can already see the food issues developing with them.
ReplyDeleteI still talk about the Christmas that I watched my sister-in-law chase her toddler with a shrimp (from the shrimp cocktail bowl my in-laws made) trying to get him to eat it. So wack!
DeleteI also encouraged my kids to express themselves, but honestly, I think their individual personalities played a bigger role in them confiding anything to us.
I guess my parents were pretty chill; the only rules we ever had were reasonable ones for our own safety. They didn't even go apeshit if we cussed (though the one exception: the F word was absolutely forbidden). My aunt and uncle enforced your rule #1 with my cousin; there was one time we went to their house for supper and he didn't want to eat something on his plate. We were all finished and hanging out in the living room and he's sitting at the dining room table all alone, bawling his eyes out. Poor kid. This probably explains why he turned into a very weird adult.
ReplyDeleteOh good grief, I can just picture your poor cousin. Many of us have sat there and it was horrendous. I’m glad your parents were chill and it’s probably why you have a good relationship with them.
DeleteI love this post! So many of your rules sound familiar--your husband's not so much. We had to drink orange juice in the morning (I still do) and we all had our assigned Dixie cups. There were four colors per box, so I and my three siblings had our own color cup. (Mine was red)
ReplyDeleteNo swimming after a meal, can't sit close to the TV--yep, I know these. One July 4th when I was very young, I burned my fingers when I touched a recently flamed out sparkler (dumb kid!) My old Italian grandmother put butter on the burn--the exact thing NOT to do. Live and learn...
Oh man, I’m cringing at that remedy! We would never have been allowed sparklers in the first place, due to the health/safety rules at my house. But my husband got sparklers and various other hazards for July 4th.
DeleteI don't remember many odd parental rules, mainly me and my sister were left to amuse ourselves as we wished. But I do remember that we were expected not to talk at meals and to eat everything on our plates and not leave anything.
ReplyDeleteNo talking at meals is a new one! I wonder why ?
DeleteOh wow! Some of these were super extreme!
ReplyDeleteI can't think of any crazy rules that we had... Except like I couldn't have my phone in my room (For good reason, I was a very terrible child who did very terrible things on my phone, gross), I used to get grounded from reading because that's all I wanted to do. But honestly besides chores and regular rules I can't think of anything crazy.
Ash @ Essentially Ash
Want to follow me on Bookstagram, booktok, add my snapchat or check out my photography?
I would have lost my mind if I got grounded from reading because books were a major part of my life.
DeleteOK making or letting kids watch Chucky is insane. This was kind of a funny read I grew up with similar rules and money was always an issue. The socks OMG the reasoning behind both is hilarious. But seriously previous generations grew up a lot tougher you keep hearing about helicopter parenting and there is a lot of this, not sure if this any better...
ReplyDeleteAllie of
www.allienyc.com
LOL, can you imagine with the Chucky? People are nuts! Yes, I know my mom and my FIL both grew up without much, so I understand some of their reasoning. They were sort of the opposite of helicopter parents though, because they didn’t care what went on at school or at our friends’ houses. We tried to balance with our kids, but I know they still complained about us!
DeleteHaha to this day I can't look at potatoes without wanting to vomit because I had to sit there and eat every last bite of food too. I fixed her though lol I perfected sneaking food to the dog and the rest I slipped into the back of my sock and then flushed down the toilet. Other than that and the dumb vitamins and don't sit close to the TV or swim 30 mins after eating old wives tales, we pretty much ran wild.
ReplyDeleteHi Pat! I’m trying to picture myself stuffing meatloaf in my socks! Or canned apricots. Ugh! But yeah, nobody seemed to care what we did in the neighborhood!
DeleteRead each book all the way through before being given the next.
ReplyDeleteThat seems hard to enforce unless you were quizzed!
DeleteInteresting post. Never heard of not letting kids eat past a certain time, that's a new one to me. Parents dishing out food, so there was enough for everyone (had friends in large Catholic families who did this), but, My Mom always said don't let you eyes take more than you can eat. She liked people taking small amounts and then if you were still hungry you could have 2nd's. NEVER barefooted, Mom said feet stink, shoes protect your feet, and never outside barefooted, no kid of her's was going to look like a ragamuffin. Grandma was even worse when I would spend a week in the summer with her. She wouldn't let you come to the table if you didn't have shoes and socks on. She was very proper. Limited phones calls because my parents considered sitting talking on the phone to be wasted time. We did pay to put gas in the car if we used it. Had to top it off so the car was always full. Not to close to the tv would ruin our eyes yep on that one, had to wait an hour after eating before you could go swimming for sure. We didn't take vitamins ever, Mom said if you ate right you didn't need them; and she wasn't going to spend on money on something unnecessary. We didn't keep any treats in our house, no after school snack, that would ruin your appetite for dinner. We had desert once a week on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteI bet you really looked forward to Sundays!
Delete