Woven basket on the other side of my fireplace.
My husband was a good sport about eating my mother's version of a Thanksgiving dinner every year because spending Christmas Day with his family was very important to him. However, we would also visit his family on Thanksgiving evening for dessert. It was a lot of driving around, but looking back, I'm glad we did that for our parents, and my kids have nice memories of the holidays.
 After we bought our current home in 2012, we hosted my parents and brother every year for Thanksgiving. Our dining room is huge, and we can comfortably fit extra tables around our main dining table. The last time my father was in our home was Thanksgiving 2017 (he passed in October 2018). The last time my brother brought my mom for Thanksgiving was 2022, the year before she fell and had to go to assisted living. Since then, it's now just our children and grandkids, totally 11 of us. My husband always roasts a large turkey + a turkey breast and makes homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. I make an apple/cranberry stuffing in the crockpot, and a variety of salads and sides like corn and zucchini casserole and smothered green beans. The day before, I will bake a pumpkin pie and a fruit pie like cherry peach. My son-in-law makes homemade bread and a cranberry orange sauce, and my son and daughter-in-law will bring another homemade dessert and a small side dish representing her Chinese culture, such as lotus root. |
I'm sure you remember when my mother passed away in 2012, the week before Thanksgiving of that year. So for me (like you), Thanksgiving was the first holiday I celebrated without her. From that point on, Thanksgiving has been bitter-sweet because I can't help but miss her. Yet at the same time, I am so thankful that she was my mother.
ReplyDeleteAnd for my dad, the first holiday I celebrated without him was Easter of 1993.
LOVE the vintage family photos you shared!
" Our Thanksgivings were bountiful with the traditional foods of turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, and stuffing in the bird. She would make my dad's favorite, pecan pie and there was always a relish tray."
Same with my family Thanksgiving Day dinners. We always had Thanksgiving at our house. My mother's turkey stuffing was so delicious!
Thank you for sharing your holiday memories with us. It brought back a ton of cherished memories for me as well.
Wishing you and your family a peaceful and loving Thanksgiving Day, dear friend! X
Good morning, Ron. Yes, the holidays are bittersweet, aren't they? You can't help but miss the old days, when loved ones were alive. I always miss my paternal grandmother during the holidays, as she passed away right after New Year's. Every Christmas and Thanksgiving were spent with her, and she spoiled us as we were her only grandkids. I hope your Thanksgiving this year is full of peace and light, Ron. XO
DeleteI loved reading about your Thanksgiving memories! This has always been my favorite holiday, as there's no shopping required aside from the grocery store.
ReplyDelete"Concord grape pie, red beet eggs", um, those are two things I've never heard of before. I must Google!!
Don't you wish you could revisit your Grandma's house, or your childhood home, once again? We would be very interested in every nook and cranny, really soaking it all in!
I love that you have so many of your mom's special items and you proudly display them for this, the Thankful Month.
As a kid, we had Thanksgiving at my Grandma's house in Miami, with G'ma, my Dad (and his wife or girlfriend), my Uncle, and, until 1985, my Grandpa. I recall my Dad and Uncle arguing (playfully) about the consistency of the gravy; one insisted it should be thick, the other wanted it thin. Weirdos!
When Coach and I moved back to Florida in 1997, we started hosting, and I had my Georgia family (mom, aunt, uncle, two cousins), My g'ma and Uncle, my In-laws (both sides!) and whoever else was in the vicinity. Oh, how I loved those days.
So many people have passed on, but we're also adding in more.
Your current Thanksgivings sound very decadent, and I'm sure your Mom is wondering why you go through so much trouble with the homemade stuff! HA!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! XO
The concord grape pie and the beet eggs are definitely some weird foods! I was always disturbed to open Grandma's fridge and see the jar of eggs floating in purple liquid! Yes, I'd love to visit both homes. I periodically look them up on realtor.com to see pictures when the houses sell. I've looked up all of my parents' condos (they had four after seeling our childhood home) and grandparent's homes. I've even been able to find pictures of my father's childhood home. So cool to see those pictures.
DeleteGravy arguments! Sounds exciting - LOL! But isn't it great that you're adding more people to the table?? My husband was always so excited about the announcement of each new grandchild, "Another person in our family!!!" He is extremely sentimental like that. Have a great Thanksgiving, Suz! XO
I'm Italian so every year we had homemade ravioli at Thanksgiving along with the usual turkey, mashed and stuffing. We hardly ate any of that because we would usually be stuffed with ravioli. We only got it once a year! Once the parents were gone my brother continued the homemade ravioli tradition until just a few years ago when the family just got too big! Now we just have the usual fare without the added carbs! You have nice treasures from your mom.
ReplyDeleteMy husband's grandfather (passed away before getting to meet him) came from Northern Italy but unfortunately no traditions were passed down. Homemade ravioli sounds like a delicious tradition. Do you do seafood at Christmas? I always try to have some sort of seafood dish to cut down on the carbs. Happy Thanksgiving!
DeleteI loved reading about your Thanksgiving memories and seeing your photos because it is such a bittersweet holiday for me as well. It's hard when so many people are gone now and so many things have changed.
DeleteMy mother did not like to cook so every Thanksgiving we spent at her parents' home, and I have such wonderful memories of those years, much like yours. When you mentioned hot bacon salad dressing, I couldn't believe it because that is something my grandmother always made too.
Big hugs to you as you go through this first holiday season without your mom. I try to remember to focus on the ones that are here now and making memories for them, but it is bittersweet.
It is hard when so many things change. I miss all my grandparents so much! They’ve been gone so long and I’m sad my kids never got to meet them. I love that your grandma also made hot bacon salad dressing! Was she German or from PA? I hope you and TBG have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
DeleteShe was English but my grandfather was German and she learned from his mother a number of dishes. I still miss all of mine also and I had them in my life longer than it seems that you did. It still wasn't enough time though. Now things with my mom, it's almost like she is gone already.
DeleteMy grandparents were all deceased by 1987, so a long time. I know how difficult it's been with your mother and I'm sorry that you are going through that. It's a constant stress, for sure.
DeleteThat's a fascinating family back story. One question: why is it called Indian corn? Wishing you a great Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteI believe it's always been called Indian Corn here because it was grown by Native Americans and introduced to Europeans who arrived in America. Thank you!
DeleteWe hang trios of Indian corn all over the place each fall. There are currently, let's see, at least four bundles spread out in various nooks and crannies.
ReplyDeleteLove your Thanksgiving memories and especially that '70s kitchen! Tara and I are retired hosts, having given up that duty when we left the PNW in 2018, but I have many fond memories over the years. Like the time we made two turkeys, one in the oven as always and the other in a brand new deep fryer we had just purchased. Only the thing refused to stay lit unless the pilot ignition button was pressed down; every time we let go, the flames died out. Unwilling to stand outside for two hours with a finger on the button, Tara came up with an excellent remedy: a rock she spotted. We used that to weigh down the button and keep the fire burning. Voila! A perfect fried turkey.
Indian corn is so pretty! And don't you love the turquoise backsplash? We originally had a turquoise fridge, but that was gone by the mid-70's. That story about the deep fryer is insane!!! Did you take it back after using it??
DeleteThese are some really beautiful memories, Bijoux. I'm sure this Thanksgiving will be bittersweet, the first in a year of firsts. That said, what gorgeous traditions you have created with your own family! I love how everyone chips in for the big meal. How special!
ReplyDeleteBoth my son and my son-in-law are really good cooks! Not sure what happened with my daughters - LOL!
DeleteThat photo of the 1970s kitchen - my grandparents had the exact cabinets with the little angled handles. I loved their kitchen and fun fact, I considered buying their home when I graduated college and they were moving into assisted living. They had the cutest little cape cod. Since then, the new owners put on a huge addition and probably double the size of the house.
ReplyDeleteFor many MANY years, our kids competed in Irish dancing Midwest championships the weekend after Thanksgiving. That meant I was always a ball of stress on T-giving. We'd have to be packed and ready to drive to Grand Rapids or Louisville. Sometimes it was in Chicago. I always worried one of the kids would get sick that weekend esp after being with so many family members at a party. Curly started puking on T-giving night one of the last years that she competed. I have no idea how she had the energy to get up and dance a few days later (we left for Louisville the Friday morning) since she'd only eaten like a handful of Cheerios. She either danced on Sat or Sun. Not sure. I'm so happy those stressful days are behind us.
I love that your grandparents had the same cabinets!!! I think the last time that house was sold, it still had the original cabinets, but the hardware was replaced. They really are a neutral color of wood (maple?) UGH on worrying about the kids getting sick before competition. I spent many sleepless nights worrying about stomach flus and strep throat. I'm glad to be over that phase of life!
DeleteMy mom loved all things Native American too. I have a large doll and vase of my moms. Great memories you have.
ReplyDeleteThat’s nice to hear that our moms had something in common, Mary!
DeleteThank you for sharing your Thanksgiving memories with us.
ReplyDeleteOf course here in the UK we do not celebrate Thanksgiving ... but all the stores and many folks houses are gearing up for Christmas.
I think it's lovely that you decided to display what you've kept of your mothers Native American items during this month of November.
Early good wishes for Thanksgiving.
All the best Jan
Thank you for commenting, Jan. I’m glad you enjoyed seeing the Native American pieces.
DeleteI loved reading about your different Thanksgiving traditions over the years, and seeing your fall/Thanksgiving decorations. That coffee pot is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThe outside of your grandmother's house reminds me of our house and a lot of the houses in our neighborhood.
Because my parents don't celebrate any holidays, all of my Thanksgiving memories/traditions started when I was an adult. One of the things that amuses me every year is how you can always tell if it's someone's first Thanksgiving at our house. I always tell people to bring Tupperware so they can take home leftovers. No one does the first year, but everyone does from the second year on.
Thank you, I love that coffee pot so much! I saw one just like it at a thrift shop recently, so now I know it’s only worth $18 🤣 Crazy to me since it’s about 75 years old and so much nicer than anything you can buy today. Grandma’s house was so neat. It had two bedrooms on the main floor, but the attic was a huge finished space. I loved going up there. That’s funny that first timers don’t believe you about bringing Tupperware. Maybe they don’t want to be presumptuous even though you told them to do it?
DeleteWhile I somehow do not have any photos of my family Thanksgiving holidays, I enjoyed reading about and seeing the photos from your over the years, Bijoux. My mother always did everything from "scratch" except for the canned cranberry jelly (so glad I made my own now). We will be celebrating with family in Lancaster, PA, this year and none of those PA specialities you mentioned - concord grape pie, red beet eggs, and hot bacon salad dressing - will be on the menu. Our son-in-laws will be doing most of the meal prep. We had our own turkey celebration here in Nashua over the weekend and cooked a turkey breast which is enough for leftovers several nights this week. We will be turkey-ed out soon! Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday together and thoe foods sound 😋
ReplyDeleteGoing to Lancaster, but not having any of those PA Dutch foods? LOL! They are probably considered too old fashioned now. Enjoy your time spent with family!
DeleteSuch lovely photos and memories. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. The first anniversaries are always a bit difficult, but please know that my heart is with you.
ReplyDeleteWe had some big affairs when I was growing up because my dad came from a large Irish family. I can remember driving to Upper Manhattan for Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt Loretta's apartment. You could smell the turkey cooking as we walked up the stairs to the third floor.
So many of my uncles, aunts and cousins somehow managed to cram into that place and we'd eat all day long.
Things are a bit smaller now that so many of that generation has passed on. But we still get together and have a great time.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Thanks, Rob. I know this year will be difficult for your family as well. The big Irish gathering sounds like a blast! Cousins are such special friends and I wish I saw mine more often. I hope your holiday is full of blessings!
DeleteMy father died 2011 & mother died in 2012. It is my husband & I only. We always use my mother's dishes & glasses on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Yes we toast them each and every holiday. It is our tradition.
ReplyDeleteThat’s a great tradition, Paula. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
DeleteI understand your nolstagia I have been feeling this way too in a variety of ways. I loved hearing all about this and seeing all your retro photos.
ReplyDeleteAllie of
www.allienyc.com
The holidays definitely bring out the nostalgia. Happy Thanksgiving!
DeleteThe “Curse of the Firsts” is so real, and those first holidays without a loved one can feel especially hard. Mrs. Shife's mom is currently in hospice care and doesn't have much time left so Thanksgiving this year is going to be hard. Spending time with her side of the family has been a Thanksgiving since I married into the family and we are all going to be a little lost this year. Wishing you comfort in your memories, warmth with your family and a gentle holiday as you honor your mom and all the moments—and flavors—she gave you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a kind comment, Mr. Shife. I’m so sorry to hear about your MIL. Wishing your family comfort and peace during this difficult time. Give Mrs. Shife and your kids an extra hug from me ❤️
DeleteI think you have some lovely Thanksgiving memories of year's past to cherish. I always loved those big family meals back in the 80's when I was a child. It seemed the whole extended family would gather at my grandma's house and it would be an all day affair. These days, everyone seems to be too tired or stressed out and the big meals don't happen as often in my family. My mom stopped celebrating Thanksgiving with us around Covid. Now Jason's parents are only up for Christmas and Easter for family meals. The younger generations don't want to take over hosting duties for the extended family. It feels like an era gone and that saddens me.
ReplyDeleteIt’s sad when relatives stop gathering. Once my grandparents were both gone (by 1987), my mom’s family never got together anymore. I have 21 cousins on that side and haven’t seen more than a few since then, mostly at funerals of the aunts/uncles. Covid really seemed to put an end to a lot of things, right? 😡 But I hope your day is full of peace and love. XO
DeleteFun to see Thanksgivings in pictures. I did the same thing, just a few minutes ago. Fun to think back over the times, now the meal and the people have changed. I found myself nodding at some of your cometary and pictures. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sandy. I hope your day is a wonderful one.
DeleteLovely memories! These are the things life is made of. Thank you for sharing such beautiful snatches.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by!
DeleteGoodness where does time go, hard to believe we're that far past Thanksgiving and moving into Christmas mode. No doubt you'll be decorating and remembering more memories.
ReplyDeleteWaving hi as I make my blog rounds. Hope things are going well for you.
ReplyDelete