Photo Friday: Vintage Christmas Memorabilia

I didn't think I'd post again this year, but here I am. I thought I'd show you some Christmas decorations from my childhood. My mom gave me some of them years ago and others I found while cleaning out her basement. Each item holds cherished memories for me.

I have two of these Santa Bells and they represent some of my earliest Christmas memories from the 1960's. They hung from a large, mirrored curio display case we had above our living room couch.


This was my childhood stocking. When I was really little, we had a cardboard fireplace that I could hang it from. When I got older, I hung it on my bedroom doorknob. My mom would always put an apple and an orange from our fridge in the bottom of the stocking which was so weird to me and my brother. Years later, she explained that that was a huge treat for her on Christmas morning in the 1940's. My favorite thing to receive in the stocking was a Lifesavers Storybook (anyone remember those?) When I was 8 or 9 years old, I received a Timex wristwatch with a grey leather strap. I was so happy to get my first watch!


This church has a windup mechanism that plays Silent Night. There is also a hole in the back where you can insert a nightlight bulb and it makes the stained glass windows light up. Just a really cool childhood memory.


I think my mom picked up this Santa at a craft fair in the late 70's. Out of all of these items, it's the one thing she kept putting out year after year, so it brings back good memories for my kids, too. We always went to my parent's house for Christmas Eve.


My kids (and now grandkids) find this elf very creepy. He winds up and plays Jingle Bells and his arms and legs move. I did not find him creepy at all as a kid, but we were tougher back then!


There was something very special about being a girl in the 1970's and receiving Avon gift items. These glass stockings were filled with Sweet Honesty perfume. I can open them and be transported back in time through the scent.


This ceramic tree was my paternal grandmother's. There's a lightbulb inside that you can switch on so that it lights up. We spent every Christmas Day with my grandma, and I miss her so much at this time of year. My brother and I were her only grandchildren and she 'spoiled' us. Remember that dumb term?? I don't think it was until I had my first grandchild that I realized how much my grandmother loved me.


The joy that these Christmas storybook records brought me is unmeasurable. I would sit in front of my little record player and follow along in the book. The narrator told you when to turn the page. My favorite was the part in Rudolph where the fog prevents Santa from seeing anything and Dasher and Dancer get into an argument. The narrator, in a very stern voice, says "Now turn the page!" I loved it!

This is the only photo I have of a visit with Santa Claus. I was either 5 or 6 years old. My kids think Santa looks like he thinks I'm naughty. I'll let you be the judge of that.

Season's Greetings from Bijoux

Merry Christmas To All and To All A Goodnight!

Comments

  1. Such a fun post. I have a lot of my decorations from childhood, and they are some of my favorites to get out each year. I had to laugh at the elf and how your kids think it is creepy. I have a stuffed Santa that I got when I was very very young, and everyone calls it scary Santa. We were built differently.
    Speaking of Avon, I have 5 or 6 holiday pins that I still wear every now and then. Do you remember them? They had perfume inside.
    I love the Christmas photo of you. I don't have a single one of me with Santa.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh….I want to see scary Santa! Yes, things like that were not scary to us. Around 2000, my kids’ school district changed the mascot to make it more friendly looking. I thought that was ridiculous 🙄

      I absolutely do remember the Avon pins with perfume! I don’t have mine anymore but I should google to see if I can remember the ones I had. Such fun nostalgia! Ihope your Christmas is merry and bright! XO

      Delete
    2. https://culinaryadventureswithlori.blogspot.com/2020/12/its-beginning-to-look-like-christmas.html

      Delete
    3. I had to laugh because that Santa just looks outright angry! LOL! Also, my grandma also gave me a clown similar to the one in your post.

      Delete
  2. I could not love this post more if I tried. I love all the throwback decorations, but mostly I just love that they have stories tied to them. That's what I love most about reflecting back on the decor from my own childhood: there are stories! I remember little anecdotes about different things, the smells, the sounds, the atmosphere.
    I'm now the person mostly responsible for creating Christmas magic for my kids and I love it, but there is a part of me that also longs to exactly replicate a Christmas from when I was 5 or 6. Goodness I just loved everything about the holidays and being the kid who just got to soak up all the essence of the season was such a delight!
    My all-time favourite Christmas decoration IS an Avon figurine. What are the odds. It is my "save in a fire" item in my house, that's how much I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you loved it! The memories that the items invoke are the best. I look at that church and think hot chocolate on a cold winter night. The best memories! I hope my kids feel this way when they are here this week and that my grands also remember some of these things when they are my age. I’d love to see that Avon figurine! Merry Christmas! XO

      Delete
  3. LIFE SAVERS STORY BOOKS!!! That was SUCH a treat for me, I would honestly still be thrilled to get one. I remember ranking all the different flavours and eating them in order. Cherry was my favourite, butterscotch was last. I also loved those story books that came with records. "When you hear this bell chime, turn the page." That little white ceramic tree reminds me of someone but I cannot think who. And OH the glamour of receiving Avon products. I didn't have that perfume, by the time I was getting things like that it was Love's Baby Soft. But I remember fondly Avon products and looking through the catalogue.
    I adore decorations that have stories attached, thank you so much for this lovely tour! Also love the photo of you with Santa. And yes, I was also "spoiled" by my grandma. It's funny how that term was used for just being loved!
    Merry Christmas, my friend. I hope you have a beautiful holiday season. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I’m so glad you remember and loved so many of these things! The Lifesavers Storybooks were the best, weren’t they? I liked both the cherry and the butterscotch (or was it called butter rum?) I didn’t like lime! I definitely had Love’s Baby Soft products as well. Such good memories of those scents! And there’s nothing better than a grandma who cherished you. I’m glad you have that memory, too. Merry Christmas! XO

      Delete
  4. I LOVE THIS POST!!

    First of all, I had that felt bell decoration! My mom made one for us and she would tie candy canes to it- it was like an advent calendar.

    I just wrote on my blog today about how I love stockings and shared a blog post from my friend Judy (who also lives in Ohio) and her stocking memories. I used to love the Lifesaver storybooks!

    I love your decorations. I don't have any from my childhood- they're all in my mom's basement, LOL. Someday I'm sure I'll have some in my home. But I loved your memory of Avon- I loved Avon as a child, too. I used to get something from Avon in my stocking every year.

    Oh gosh, the ceramic tree. So we had a green one, and my parents brought it every year. The year my dad got sick- 2023- he made sure that ceramic tree got put up. I remember him putting it up the day he got home from the hospital. He loved that tree. Well, ever since then, we can't find it anywhere. I'm hoping it will pop up somewhere.

    The thought of you sitting in front of your little records- omg, so sweet. And that picture of you on Santa's lap? I love it so much. I'm so glad you share these memories here, my friend.

    Sending you so much love. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season if I don't see you around blog world! 😘🎄💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember something about candy canes tied to decorations like that. I don't think we did that, but I've seen it before. Wasn't Avon the best? Their products were good quality and affordable and they gave women a chance to be entrepreneurs, of sort. I would have loved having that kind of job.

      My grandmother also had a green ceramic tree, but the lights were marbles. It was not in my mom's basement, so I guess it either broke or my brother has it. WHERE could your tree be?? You must find it! Your Dad would want it on display!

      I found such joy in music as a child. I remember getting a stereo system (the speakers were plastic, but still!) when I was 13 for Christmas and it was such a huge gift to me. I liked Shaun Cassidy and Captain & Tenille at the time. Merry Christmas to you as well, my dear friend! XO

      Delete
  5. Lots of cherished memories there! I also got an orange in my stocking. The elf is a bit creepy I think. He has a very strange facial expression. The musical church reminds me of a musical box my granny used to play at Christmas. There was something rather comforting about it. Anyway, have a great Christmas, Bijoux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those plastic elf faces all looked like that in the 1960's. I bet your grandmother's music box was amazing, Nick. Merry Christmas to you and Jenny!

      Delete
  6. Vintage Christmas decor is the best! I still have my childhood stocking, too. It's got Santa surfing in a swimsuit (grew up in Hawaii, remember?). I have a different, newer stocking that I hang up; I'm afraid to use my old one lest anything should happen to it! Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage holiday decor really is the best. What do you think will happen to your old stocking? Kitty cat trouble? Merry Christmas to you and Tara!

      Delete
  7. I love your Vintage Christmas memories! You're right, we were much tougher back in the day; I remember those elves, and I don't think they're creepy at all.
    I wish I had saved all of my Avon stuff; perfumes, lip glosses, etc...
    My Mom often told us how thrilled she was to get a piece of fruit in her stocking---we are 'spoiled' now, for sure. I also miss my Grandma so much and had a fun/bizarre dream about her last night. Like you, I now understand that immeasurable love!
    I think everyone had homemade stockings too....when did they start mass producing them? How sweet that you still have the Christmas record storybooks; the olden days really were special.
    Love the cute pic of you and Santa. There is no way my friend Bijoux was ever on the naughty list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I have any of my other Avon stuff, so I’m glad I held onto the glass stockings. I had a Snoopy hairbrush from Avon as a kid and lost it at a slumber party 😩
      My husband’s family took a sock out of their dresser and slapped it on their brick fireplace! That cracks me up. The difference between big families and small families was significant, at least back then.
      I thought of your picture when I found the one of me with Santa. So special! Merry Christmas! Enjoy that new baby boy! XO

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention the Lifesaver books---they were such a treat, and I fondly remember them from my childhood. I purchased them a few times for my girls, but they didn't have the same love for them. SPOILT!

      Delete
    3. I just saw some at Aldi and they were cheap looking and all the rolls were just multi flavored. #sad

      Delete
  8. It's great that you have some stuff from your childhood. I don't have anything from my childhood as pretty much everything with the exception of a couple of things I put in my pockets, got thrown away when my parents got divorced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad, Mary. I hope you have a great Christmas with your daughter and grandson! XO

      Delete
  9. Of course I remember Lifesaver Storybooks! We got one every year growing up. My mother gave is beautiful glass ornaments that we put up every year & made several Santa statues we put out. Christmas was her holiday. She celebrated Jesus all year actually. When I heard her greeting him just before she died I was so happy as she wanted to walk with him. I know folks will call me bonkers, but I felt peace knowing when she crossed over. I miss both parents especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Lifesaver storybooks were the best! I’d love to see the Santa statues your mom made. I don’t think you’re crazy at all! So many people experience similar crossing overs with their loved ones. My husband and I have both been melancholy this year with all of our parents being gone now. Thanks for commenting and I hope you have a Merry Christmas with loved ones.

      Delete
  10. It's so great that you still have all that stuff from your childhood! I grew up with 3 very rambunctious brothers who pretty much destroyed most of our childhood things! I don't even recall if we had Christmas stockings or not! I do have a few small little angel ornaments that belonged to my grandmother. I remember wanting to play with them and crying because I was not allowed! This is always a little sad time of year for us too. Things are so different now than they were back then! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suppose you not being allowed to play with the angels allowed them to remain intact and for you to enjoy today. It is sad to look back at what is gone, but at least we have the grands now. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  11. That Elf is a little creepy, reminds me of those old time dolls that always looked scary. I remember watching my Mom put the cardboard fireplace together. And it had a little lightbulb that made it look like the fire light was flickering. She'd go to the trouble of putting flour down to leave a partial footprint where Santa come down the chimney....lol, we kids sure weren't very bright it seems. Watching her put it together and still thinking he could come down the chimney, lol We also got an apple, and an orange and some nuts in the shell that you had to use the cracker to open. I still have a ceramic tree that my Mother in law made make in the day. I also remember those storybook life savers things. They were soooooo cool. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think our cardboard fireplace was that complicated, but I do know I stopped believing in Santa at age 7, so I likely never thought too much about him coming down the fake chimney. Merry Christmas, Sandy.

      Delete
  12. Look at you - the first to have an elf on a shelf. Ha. I can't believe he moves when he is wound up. These are all so cute, and I love the memories they hold. I wish we'd held onto the records we had when I was a kid. Records are coming back (I think?). The church that lights up with a bulb is lovely. It's really fun to learn all about the memories you associate with each item. I don't think we have a single photo of us sitting on Santa's lap. I remember sitting on his lap, but if you had to pay for the photo - no chance my parents would've paid. That picture of you is so cute. I don't think Santa is considering you for the naughty list. I think he's side-eyeing you a bit though. My grandparents were at our house every Christmas and they brought me so much joy. I was truly blessed - my four grandparents were alive for a long time. My two grandmas met some/most of my children.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually did have another elf that looked like elf on a shelf. I don’t know when that trend started, but it was after my kids were older. Yes, records are making a comeback. I still have all of mine, but it’s not like I ever had that many. I’m surprised my mom paid for that photo, but it could have been my grandma! How wonderful that you knew all your grandparents and that your grandmothers met your kids! I only knew 3 of mine and they were all deceased by the time I was 24. Merry Christmas, Ernie! XO

      Delete
  13. Thanks, Bijoux, for this trip down memory lane with vintage Christmas items. My parents had that same church which is now at my brother's home and displayed every holiday season. Patrick and myself send our best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful holiday and a good 2026 for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I’m excited that you had that same church, growing up and that it’s still in the family. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  14. Sorry I'm late to this post, but I've been working Christmas retail this month with only a few days off. I will be sooooooooo happy when it turns back to my normal three days a week schedule. Last week I worked EIGHT days in a row. UGH!

    LOVE these photographs! Put a big smile on my face because they reminded me of my childhood Christmases!

    And do you know what's funny? I had one of those creepy elf's.

    And one of my family members was an Avon rep, so my mother would receive Christmas Avon items.

    That photo of you with Santa is so precious!

    Hope you are enjoying a fabulous Christmas day. Merry Christmas and love to you and your family!

    XO

    P.S. See ya in the New Yeari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those holiday retail hours! It’s exhausting, but Dec. 26th is the worst, so I hope your day today is not horrible. All the best to you in 2026, Ron! XO

      Delete
  15. What a lovely post! I love how the scent from the Avon glass stockings took you back in time, and don't even get me started on that adorable photo of you on Santa's lap. (He does look a bit stern)

    I remember those ceramic Christmas trees. I've got a few of our family's old Christmas tree decorations and they bring back such wonderful memories.

    Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Santa does not look all that happy with me, does he?? I wonder what I asked for? Ha! Let's hope 2026 is a good one, Rob! XO

      Delete
  16. Making my blog rounds. Hope you're staying warm and gearing up for a good New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so fun seeing your Christmas decorations. I always love seeing people's childhood Christmas decorations and hearing about their childhood Christmas memories. I think it's probably because I don't have my own, but I'm always fascinated with everyone else's.

    I hadn't thought about the Sweet Honesty perfume in years, but I absolutely remember that.

    I have to agree with your kids and grandkids about the elf. I think almost every family has something like that where later generations find it creepy.

    Belated Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danielle! Nice to see you. That's cool that you remember Sweet Honesty perfume. I hope your Christmas was a festive one and that your 2026 is full of joy! XO

      Delete
  18. Can you believe it's now 2026 and here I am saying thank you for sharing your Christmas Decorations.

    I had a good Christmas spending time with family and grandchildren.
    Last year seemed to fly by!
    Good wishes to you and your family for 2026.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad your holiday was a good one! Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  19. Omgosh. This post brings back so many memories. Those Avon boots! I know exactly what they smell like! I think my grandma had one of those wind-up churches, and we had the ceramic Christmas tree, but ours was green. Most of our Christmas decorations came from Germany because my dad spent so much time over there in the military. I remember those books with the records! We didn't have the Christmas ones, but we had a whole set of math records, plus, minus and times. Lol. - Such fun memories. Thank you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Mimi? Im glad you share so many of the same memories as me. That’s so cool that you had decorations from Germany. We have a candle thing that spins when you light them that came from my husband’s German aunt (actually, his uncle who married a woman in Germany). Happy New Year!

      Delete
  20. You? Naughty? That doesn't sound right :) There's nothing like great memories. Happy New Year, Bijoux!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a treasure trove! My parents put an orange and apple in our stockings too, but they were giant-sized. I never knew how they found them that big. Did the grocery store sell them that big only at Christmas time? And they managed to buy them when we weren't around. We also had mixed nuts that my dad would open for us with a nut cracker. Sometimes there would be colored candies that he would distribute to each of us, including himself, one of each color. We would take turns with each color, trying each together and commenting on its worthiness.

    I may not have the old decorations, but looking at yours sure brought back fond Christmas memories of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband got the shelled mixed nuts in his stocking, too. Not that exciting for him because they had a big bowl of them on the coffee table during the holidays 🤣 Oh, I’m wondering what kind of candy you had? By any chance was it the flat ‘stained glass’ squares? I loved the red ones (hot cinnamon) but all were good. Haven’t seen it in years, but I think it was homemade, not store bought.

      Delete
    2. Oh man. For reals on the nuts in the stocking. Filler, much? Sadly, no, not stained glass candy, though that sounds really cool. I can't actually remember what they were now, just that there were multiple colors and flavors. :/

      Delete
    3. Well, you unlocked a memory for me with the candy. Maybe a future post!

      Delete
  22. The ceramic Christmas tree that you have has really stood the test of time in the design department. I still see people using that ceramic mold for their projects! Such fun memories. My mom never saved any holiday decorations. Once she downsized, she donated them all to Goodwill. I don't think there were any that we really treasured and wanted to keep for ourselves though, so we weren't mad about it.

    My daughter doesn't care one bit about my Christmas decorations, but the Halloween she has already told me she will be inheriting. The funny thing is, she'll buy me decorations for Halloween because she says "Oh, I like this and know I'll be inheriting it some day, so I bought it for you to display now." LOL

    The elf is a bit creepy, but I think they still sell similar designs at Hobby Lobby. I believe I bought a cheap one like him when my girls were little so their Elf on the Shelf would have a playmate (because I wasn't buying two of those expensive elves!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tree design is was so popular and I didn't know people still used those molds. Funny that your daughter buys you decor to inherit! LOL! Back in the day, the elf on the shelf was just a cheap decoration that everyone had. My family had one and my husband's had one. We have one of them, but I don't know whose it was. The whole Elf on the Shelf popularity didn't seem to start until after my kids were older. Maybe around 2010 or later? Probably an internet thing!

      Delete

Post a Comment