The years sure do fly by, don't they? I feel like it wasn't that long ago that I wrote my 2025 autism awareness post. For those of you who are new, my Middle Child was diagnosed with autism in the late 1990's. She is now in her mid-30's and has been successfully employed as a library page for nine years.
The last few years' posts, I've focused on the positive. She has a gift for music (has been playing the piano for over 20 years) and she loves doing arts and crafts. Back in 2020, I wrote this post about the hardships of finding friends and activities to be involved with (it actually had nothing to do with the pandemic). Well, how the tide has turned! Because she doesn't drive, I am her personal Uber driver. And I'd be making a mint this year! Here is a list of things she's done since the beginning of the year:
Met a friend for coffee twice. This is the young woman mentioned in the 2020 post who invited her into a friend group at church.
Attended a community theatre play in which her childhood friend was performing. This is the only friend from school that she keeps in touch with (I don't count social media).
Birthday party in her honor, attended by 9 friends from the church group. Most of them are now married and have a baby or two, so it's nice that they still make time for Middle Child. She came home with flowers, crafting gifts, and gift cards, and felt very loved.
Baby shower for a friend (see above).
Lunch with a former library co-worker who is close to my age but still keeps in touch.
Bridal shower for the one friend she made at community college who is also on the spectrum.
Dinner with two women who were in her pandemic prayer pod at church. This was a Zoom group, but they've kept in touch and will go out to eat about once a quarter. The women are in their 50's-60's and are always good about sending her birthday cards, Valentine's cards, etc.
In addition, she and I have been volunteering together once a month. There is a local disability group that sponsors parties and outings for young adults with more complex disabilities, such as cerebral palsy and Down's Syndrome. Our role is decorating for the parties, setting up the games/activities, and putting out the food. Middle Child has often been asked if she wants to stay for the gatherings, but as someone who struggles with small talk, she is not comfortable trying to communicate with those who also have communication issues. We've been there when participants arrive and Middle Child is like a deer in headlights in those situations. Which is okay, because it is hard for me to know how to interact.
All in all, Middle Child is having a lot of social interaction. If you had told me a decade ago that she would have such a full calendar, I would not have believed it. We are immensely grateful to those who have made time for her in their lives.

That's great that she's managing so much social interaction. A lot of people with autism seem to have a lot of difficulty with it or even find it unpleasant.
ReplyDeleteI know an autistic blogger who posts a lot about the condition, which has been enlightening, but I still can't really claim to understand it. A strange and variable thing.
It truly is a spectrum disorder, with completely opposite ends of variables. My daughter actually wants to socialize but has trouble understanding how to engage. She has her rote things to say but can't come up with anything on her own. It's easier if the person she's talking with just asks her a lot of questions. So, you can see how one-sided it becomes.
DeleteI have a friend with a son the same age who has autism and he is an accountant and is able to drive, etc. Unfortunately, he has zero friends because he cannot engage whatsoever.
The years DO fly by because it literally feels like last month that you last wrote about it! Funny how that happens. Your daughter seems to be thriving, and I am so happy for her and for you and your new career as an unpaid Uber driver! I love that she has so many friendships and connections. They obviously know her well, with gifts of craft supplies! I know she loves her crafting. She sounds like a really special young woman!
ReplyDeleteAnd it's your birthday again! And Kari's. And mine is coming up! Yes, her friends know of her love for crafting. She's gifted them many different homemade cards and pictures. It's nice that people who get to know her really do love her.
DeleteI am so happy to hear that your daughter has so many friends that she can socialize with. Nine years at the library is also a great accomplishment for her. I know you have to be so thrilled that things turned out better than it sounds like you thought they would.
ReplyDeleteThe library gig has been fabulous. A safe environment, close to home. And not having to deal with the public (too much). Whenever someone asks her a question, she knows to direct them straight to the reference desk. And yes, her life has turned out much better than we had thought it would. There were some very rough times.
DeleteHow wonderful that your daughter has so many positive interactions in social settings. Her job sounds perfect for her. Your side hustle as Driver has really made a difference in her quality of life.
ReplyDeleteYou were a teacher, right? She had many friends from preschool up until 4th grade. That's when girls start being not so nice. She had a good friend who moved away, and all the others realized that her interests were the same as when she was younger, while they began playing competitive sports and noticed boys, etc.
DeleteThat's great that she's doing so well. Especially that she's having so much social interaction. As you say, it's good that so many people have found time for her.
ReplyDeleteWe are so thankful to those who have taken an interest in her. Most people, neuro-typical or autistic, just want to feel included.
DeleteYes, the years sure do fly by! But I ALWAYS look forward to your Autism Awareness posts each year. And that's because autism hits home for me as well. As you know, my dear friend, Diana, has a son (Nico) who is autistic.
ReplyDeleteWow, that list of what your daughter has accomplished since the beginning of the year is so impressive! And I love how the two of you have been volunteering each month. That's AWESOME! I need to get back into doing some volunteer work. I used to volunteer with hospice and an HIV center; offering Reiki and Reflexology sessions for them.
And what I found so incredible about doing that was that even though I was 'giving' something to them, it always felt as though they were giving ME so much more.
Once again, beautiful post my friend! I will be forwarding it to Diana.
Hope you're having a faaaaaaaaaabulous week!
X to you and Middle Child!
Thanks for forwarding this to Diana, Ron. I hope she and Nico are doing well. You are so right about volunteering. You often feel that you are receiving, just as much as you are giving. I know that the participants enjoy the parties so much. It's a good reminder that the simple things add so much joy to our lives.
DeleteI miss talking to you regularly but think of you often! Hope all is well in your part of the world. XO
This is so encouraging! My reluctant scholar of a son has just received an autism level 1 diagnosis. ( Would have been nice to have it before senior year...). I dream of him getting a job like the library page- he's applied twice but they keep hiring retired teachers or cute college girls. ( Nice and qualified, but I wish they'd look to diversify the staff!). Your daughter inspires me that he can have a rich future too.
ReplyDelete- mbmom11
Thank you so much for commenting. I had to look up Level 1 diagnosis. This is all new. My daughter was first diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. I had her re-evaluated when she turned 21 and by then, everyone was just labeled ASD. Looking at the chart, she was likely Level 2 at a young age but would be Level 1 now.
DeleteMy daughter was a teen library volunteer in high school. She applied numerous times for a page job at two different branches until she got this one. It felt like a miracle, after her failed job as a preschool aide. Keep applying and make sure he has the Dewey decimal system memorized before the interview. I think that really helped her get the job. You can contact me anytime! Good luck!
I'm glad to hear that middle child is doing so good.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mary!
DeleteI applaud her for having such a full social calendar! It feels like the older we get, the harder it is to get out there and interact with others, even for those not on the spectrum. So it sounds like she's doing such a fantastic job of managing her social circles and job, and that in itself should be celebrated.
ReplyDeleteI hear you, Theresa. I'm much more likely to accept invitations for one-on-one or small group get togethers. This week, a friend of mine had a birthday gathering with 12 people for happy hour and I passed. That sort of thing just isn't fun for me anymore.
DeleteI agree. I like to keep my gatherings to 4-6 people. Any more than that overwhelms me. I go to book club and there's like 15 ladies there and I always have to take a deep breath before going in because I know it's going to test my patience interacting in such a large group for an hour or two. I'd skip on it altogether, but my dear friend started it to help promote her shop (where meeting are held) and I'd feel like a crap friend by not showing this little token of support once a month.
DeleteYeah, once my book club disbanded in 2010, I tried another one and I just couldn't handle all the people and small talk. It was overwhelming and only 50% of it was actual book talk. No thanks!
DeleteReading this, I am smiling ear to ear. I'm so thrilled that she has made so many lasting and sweet friends over the years. You know, having a social circle not only adds to our day-to-day, but also our longevity in life, too. It's essential for mental health.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you and your husband (probably siblings as well), for working so hard to get her to this place; surely it wasn't easy, and you've done such a good service to her well-being.
Your volunteer opportunity sounds just perfect for the two of you; commendable!
Thank you for sharing this with us! XO
Yes! I keep reading about how socializing is one of the determents to dementia, too. It's an important part of life that people have been avoiding since the pandemic. It's definitely been a long haul effort with Middle Child, but she's in a great place right now. And she has so much fun volunteering with that group. She loves decorating her room for every holiday and season, so this is right up her alley. I'm glad you enjoyed this!
DeleteWow! Good for her. She has more of a social life than I ever did! Her success in life is a reflection on your and your husbands good parenting! Sounds like she found the perfect job too! I enjoyed reading about her successes!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Jeanette. We are very proud of her accomplishments.
DeleteI really love hearing about your daughter and all that she’s doing. I appreciate you sharing her life the way you do—it gives such an honest and loving window into your world, and I always come away with a lot of respect for both of you. You show up for her in such a thoughtful way. It also reminds me how much there is to learn about how different each person’s experience can be. 😘💜
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are here for it. She has taught the whole family so much and surprises us in a good way with all that she has done. Wishing you a beautiful Spring (birthday??) week.
DeleteKudos to your daughter and to you, Bijoux, for your encouragement and help which surely have helped her develop so many if these outlets. It was heartwarming to read of the friendships that have come about and I know you and your family are happy that she is happy.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Beatrice. We are so happy that she has friends.
DeleteThis is very happy news. :) Ilsa/B.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Betsy!
DeleteOh, this is so lovely, Bijoux! I am so happy for you and your daughter. What an amazing list of accomplishments! I love reading about your daughter's progress and I think you are an incredible Mom. Blessings upon you and your family!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Rob. I appreciate your support.
DeleteIt does seem like just a few months ago that you wrote your last Autism Awareness post. Holy smokes, time flies. How great that she's made so many wonderful connections, especially when you couldn't foresee that happening. That makes my heart so happy. I cracked up at your unpaid position with Uber.
ReplyDeleteSome weeks, it can seem like a lot of driving with her job and all, but we are so happy she feels included and is flourishing.
DeleteIt does seem like I just read your 2025 post. I always enjoy these, J! I'm glad your daughter is doing so well. She is truly an inspiration. You are too.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mark. Where does the time go??
DeleteI really appreciate your point about moving from 'awareness' to 'acceptance.' It feels like we’ve spent decades labeling the spectrum, but we’re only just starting to actually listen to the people on it. As you said, the goal shouldn't be to 'fix' anyone, but to make the world a little more accessible for everyone’s version of normal.
ReplyDeleteYou said it better than I could! Thank you for your insight, Mr. Shife and have a super weekend.
DeleteThis is so encouraging, so pleased your daughter is doing so well.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thank you so much, Jan.
DeleteThis post makes me so happy. I remember when you wrote about her struggling to find a good friend group. I'm so glad things have turned around so much for her! Sometimes it's hard to find the right people, but it's such a great feeling when you do. And it's awesome that you're willing to drive her places so she can keep up those friendships.
ReplyDeleteIt's been so nice for her to have good friends. I never would have dreamed it, to be honest!
Delete