Weird Wednesday: Nature For the Win

 Another edition of interesting finds in my world. Please see blog update at bottom.


This photo is from last Fall. It's the most unusual tree (bush?) that I've ever seen in my neighborhood. Definitely not something you expect to see growing in Ohio. Google image search says that it's called Angel's Trumpet. It was amazing and I can't wait to see it in bloom again.


And now for the ugly. Another gem from my Facebook Buy Nothing page, just in case you are in need of a damaged lampshade.


While buying gas, I noticed this Charlie Brown artificial tree at the gas station. There are four planters of these. It's April. Maybe just don't try to decorate. It's a gas station.


Since resuming walking this Spring, I notice this hornet's nest every day. I'm impressed that it has survived all our windstorms and blizzards.


Does this pill look big to you? I bought this magnesium supplement and had to throw away the bottle. I could not swallow them. Even cutting them in half did not help. And I'm a person who has never had issues swallowing pills as an adult.


This art museum ad was just weird to me.


And this is what turned up in my daughter-in-law's camera roll: my two-year-old granddaughter perfecting her selfie. She does not get that from me!

I want to let everyone know that I'm only going to be on Blogger sporadically for the next four months. I'm looking forward to a busy summer. I'll pop in to visit you sporadically and maybe do a post here or there, but for the most part, I'm going to be on a Blogger break. Wishing everyone a beautiful Summer!

Comments

  1. Some of those free group posts are wild. Like, just trash the lampshade. Nobody wants your garbage.
    That's wild to plant scraggly fake trees in pots at the gas station. I'm not worried about landscaping while I'm filling up my tank.
    Kids just come out of the womb knowing how to operate phones these days. I still can't take a selfie to save my life LOL
    Enjoy your summer break! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you return :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are afraid to throw anything away now! That's why recycling centers have so much trouble. People can't follow the rules and want to recycle everything. I can't take a selfie either. I still say my arm just isn't long enough. I have four upcoming adventures! Four! Super pumped about the next several months. XO

      Delete
  2. That art museum ad is odd. More like an ad for a softcore gay porno movie. I don't know what kind of art it's supposed to suggest.

    Hard to judge the size of the pill without a familiar object for reference. Maybe put the lampshade next to it for comparison.

    The hornet's nest must be tough. In the old days it would have been an irresistible target for kids with slingshots.

    Be cautious around large odd-looking plants that don't seem to belong in the area. You never know, it might be one of those ones that grows a big pod and then when you fall asleep a duplicate of you comes out of it and replaces you.

    Hope you have fun with whatever you'll be doing on blogging break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing about that art ad! Maybe it's the Village People that made me think that. Yes, I should have put a dime or something next to the pill. It's hard to see just how big it was. No more round tablets for me. And thank you, it's all about the fun for me these days. Take care~!

      Delete
  3. Those yellow trumpet flowers are amazing. I know I've seen them around her somewhere. I'm also surprised they grow up where you are. Kudos to the hornet's nest, I guess? Haha. Do I want to be cheering for those things? :P Your buy nothing site certainly does offer some bizarre trash, even more bizarre than the little Christmas trees.

    Enjoy your blog break and productive, restful next 4 months, J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe that hornet's nest didn't fall out of the tree. This is gross, but we had one here that my husband and son took down (spray/broom/dark of night) and by the next morning, it had been eaten. SO gross! I'm not sure how productive I'll be, but I do have a genealogy project that I have been avoiding for a few years now. Have a great summer!

      Delete
    2. Eaten? What on earth would eat a hornet's nest? Best of luck with your project! Think how great it will feel to have it completed! :) <3

      Delete
    3. Raccoon, skunk, or mole? I'm not sure I want to know what goes on in my yard at night!

      Delete
  4. I've seen one of those trumpet bushes, but I can't remember where. People do seem to offer up a lot of items that I would send straight to the trash. I don't understand it.
    I have trouble with larger round pills. I just can't get them down.
    I hope you have a wonderful summer. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've been brainwashed to recycle everything, so now no one wants to contribute to landfills. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with round pills. Thank you for the well wishes and I hope your summer is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I don't have any trouble swallowing pills. It might be useful to think about the fact that we swallow bites of food that are much larger than pretty much every pill; that helped me long ago.

    Thank goodness for image searches or the Seek app, which I use to identify plants and trees. That trumpet bush is beautiful.

    I think I'm glad that more people are trying to reduce, reuse, recycle even if it means that some weird stuff gets put out in garage sales, etc. At least people are being more conscious and conscientious about our environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never seem to have an issue with large capsules. But that round, hard pill was just too much for me. Even cutting it in half, the rough edges were difficult going down.

      I love using google image search. It was so helpful when going through my parents' home and seeing if anything was valuable (or just discovering what it was!) It still surprises me that I have been able to find almost everything (including items over 100 years old) using an image search.

      For the most part, I love people reducing waste, but sometimes you just need to let it go.

      Delete
  6. Oh, enjoy your summer, Bijoux! I hope you have lots of wonderful travel, family time, and yummy things on the horizon.
    I hope you snapped up that broken lampshade immediately!!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited for all the adventures ahead. I hope your summer is grand!

      Delete
  7. Bijoux, you really covered all the bases this week! From 'Angel's Trumpet' to gas station décor, it was a delight. I’ll miss your updates, but I'm thrilled you're heading out to have a busy, fun-filled summer. Don't be a stranger when the fall rolls around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be around here and there, but it's always nice to take a break from having the internet in my pocket. I hope your summer is a good one with your family.

      Delete
  8. The Angel’s Trumpet is beautiful! I hope you take a photo in the fall to share with us. Enjoy your summer, my friend. I always love seeing your pictures on Instagram. 😘💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kari. My Instagram has fallen by the wayside because I'm not on there as much since my TikTok obsession began. I'll try to post some pics this summer. XO

      Delete
  9. I hope you get to do some fun stuff over the Summer.
    That pill wasn't a chewable? It does look kinda big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. No, the pill was Magnesium and not chewable.

      Delete
  10. Posting sporadically sounds like a great plan. I may copy you there. These pics are a hoot. The babies got a hold of my camera after I set it down while taking a photo of them - they took a video of themselves (they aren't even a year yet) and it is so so funny. Yes, please allow me to pick up your broken lampshade. Said no one ever. I am so interested in that tree or bush. So unique.

    Enjoy your summer break. I look forward to all the odd photos you take while you are off doing summer things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how these young'uns know exactly what to do with a phone! Cracks me up, but it's scary too! I'll see what weird stuff I can find over the next few months. Have a great summer!

      Delete
  11. The Rotary Botanical Garden in Janesville has a collection of Angel's Trumpets too; we just discovered them last year, and were equally amazed. They're super cool! (Also mildly toxic, so you don't want to go touching the flowers.)

    Our neighbor across the street has a hornet's nest in his tree. All winter long, we were expecting him to knock it down, but he never bothered.

    Enjoy your summer. I can't wait to hear all about your Oregon trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up on the Trumpet bush. It's near the sidewalk, so I will now not to go trespassing to smell or touch it! People tend to just ignore their yards I've noticed on walks. I often see broken limbs hanging from trees and it drives me nuts. I've pulled a few down and just left them as someone will have to move them to cut the grass. I'm looking forward to a fun-filled summer!

      Delete
  12. Enjoy your busy summer, Bijoux, and blogging should always take a back seat to enjoying family and friends. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That first photo of the Angel's Trumpet is gorgeous! I think I recall seeing them when I lived in Florida. However, I've not ever seen one since moving back to PA. It looks like it's part of the "lily family".

    And OMG, that lamp shade looks as though CUJO got a hold of it. LOL!

    "I'm impressed that it has survived all our windstorms and blizzards." --- you're right, how impressive that it survived our intense winter. I guess hornet's are resilient!!

    And yes, that pill DOES look big. It looks like a TUMS. And it's ironic you mentioned magnesium because I tried adding that supplement to my daily supplements, but it just didn't work for me. In fact, I tried it several times and found that magnesium (glycinate) made me feel weak, tired, and just not-right. So, I stopped.

    "my two-year-old granddaughter perfecting her selfie. She does not get that from me!" --- she's ADORABLE!

    FUN and FABULOUS post, my friend! And enjoy your Blogger break. I bet you have a lot of cool and fun things to do this summer!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, the trumpet bush does look like it's part of the lily family. I love anything with BIG flowers. I've never heard of anyone having issue magnesium, Ron, but I get it. I wanted to use K2 with my Vitamin D because it's supposed to be helpful for bones, but it made me so nauseated every time I took it. I had to give up. I take two forms of magnesium at night. I started years ago after having so many problems with calcifications found during mammograms (and having to get biopsies). It was a complete nightmare! I researched and found one study that suggested magnesium. This was five years ago, and I've not had a single calcification since!!! It's been a miracle for me.

      Thank you - we think she's adorable, too. The sweetest little gal! I'm ready for summertime fun. I hope your summer is beautiful and not too hot, Ron. Keep in touch! XO

      Delete
  14. That tree is very cool! Definitely not something you would expect to see in this area of the US! That ad is definitely disturbing for some reason! I threw away a bottle of Vitamin C pills because they were too hard to swallow and I actually burned my throat once when it got stuck! Your granddaughters selfie is so cute! Have a wonderful, wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanette. I hope your summer is beautiful!

      Delete
  15. That tree is amazing. I've never seen anything like that. Didn't quite get that museum ad myself. It's got a "What me, worry?" vibe.

    I feel you on the monster pills. I've got an antihistamine that I'm ready to toss because they're the size of .45 caliber bullets. Who makes these damn things--horse doctors?

    Love the granddaughter selfie! She is so cute!

    Enjoy your time off. You know I'll miss you, but you've got things to do. Have a great summer, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear I'm not the only adult who's had trouble swallowing pills. Thanks for your well wishes, Rob. I hope your summer is a great one.

      Delete
  16. I've seen Angel trumpets before; I assumed they were all over. No?
    Laughing at your granddaughter...they start young now!
    I bet the person with the &^%$#^( lampshade is just one of those souls who can't see anything going into a landfill. Well, I hate to tell them the landfill was created for lampshades like that.
    Do you think the gas station put up those trees to keep people from running into something? I'm very confused.
    The hornet's nest is cool. We had one at the Georgia house we just sold; it was empty, and I wanted to take it to save because it looked like a piece of art. Sadly, we had a huge storm, and it disappeared.
    I thought your magnesium pill was a Backgammon piece. *gag*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A backgammon piece?? LOL! That made me laugh! The Angel trumpet bush is the first one I've ever seen in my life. I don't think it's common up north. Yes, I think the large planters at the gas station are to prevent cars from hitting the pumps. Normal places would put flowers or something more decorative in in them than those cheap looking trees.

      Delete
  17. I shall miss all your interesting posts and comments while you're away, but yes, good idea to blog less often and enjoy the other parts of your life. As you say, that hornets' nest must be pretty robust to have withstood the harsh weather of the last few months. The flowers on that tree certainly look like trumpets. And the pill looks quite small in your photo but it must be a lot bigger to have been hard to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I hope your summer is filled with sunshine and happiness.

      Delete
  18. That's a really cool tree. I've never seen anything like it. We have managed to get some walks outside but its still cold here. Enjoy your blogger break. Summer is too short in the upper Midwest to not get out & enjoy it as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ridiculously cold here over the weekend. I hope you have a great summer!

      Delete
  19. Aww I do like the granddaughter selfie ... so cute :)
    Enjoy your busy summer, Bijoux.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment