Pacific Northwest Trip: The Waterfalls

The last part of our trip to the Pacific Northwest focused on waterfalls. We spent a half a day at Silver Falls State Park located southeast of Salem, Oregon. It's known for its Trail of Ten Falls, a 7.2-mile loop. We opted to do the Winter Falls Loop, a 5-mile hike past seven waterfalls. We started in the South Falls District and traveled clockwise to complete the loop. I would not have known of this park if it were not for my son, who did this hike with his wife and a friend back in 2021. I did not expect all the waterfalls to be so magnificent! However, most of the trail is very rocky and I found myself looking down a lot of the time, worried I would sprain my ankle and need to be life flighted out of there! These are the thoughts of someone getting old, I suppose.


South Falls

If you look closely, you can see the path to walk behind the falls, which of course we did!


Lower South Falls


Lower North Falls


Double Falls


On the trail enjoying the moss-draped scenery.


Winter Falls

The hard part was over. Then it was just a relaxing stroll along the Rim Trail, back to the parking lot.

Another day was spent at the Columbia River Gorge. I had read online that parking was limited (there are 9 stops/trailheads along the scenic Columbia River Highway) so I reserved a spot on the Waterfall Trolley through Gray Line. It picked us up at 9 a.m. at a school just outside the park. The trolley ran in a loop, stopping at each point on the hour. This gave us plenty of time to hike to waterfalls without too much waiting around. And once we saw all the cars circling the lots like vultures, we were thrilled to be trolley riders.

Vista House and Crown Point offer panoramic views of the Columbia River:




And now for my final bucket list item:


Multnomah Falls! I've been seeing photos of it for years and it was my dream to see it in person. It is stunning at 620 feet! We hiked up the path to the bridge and my first thought was, 'This bridge is so much smaller than I imagined it to be.' I was so proud of myself for going up there because I have an irrational fear of heights. We traveled on the path to get to the very top, but I became a little lightheaded from the narrowness of the path and the height, so we turned around.


More waterfalls along the gorge:


Horsetail Falls


Wahkeena Falls


Bridal Veil Falls


Latourell Falls

We spent six hours hiking that day and packed plenty of water in our backpack but failed to bring many snacks. And we didn't have much of a breakfast, on the road from Willamette Valley early that morning. We were famished! Once the trolley dropped us off at our car, we were looking on Google maps for a brewery we could have an early dinner on our way to our hotel near the Portland airport. We found one that had a great menu, but when we arrived, a sign on the door said that it was closed for a private event. We found another and drove to it, but it turned out to be in a strip mall with motorcycles out front. We walked in and did a U-turn back out, as it was clearly a local spot. By this point, we were just hangry and my husband saw an Applebee's and pulled in. So much for enjoying some local cuisine! He sent a photo of our table to the family group chat and as expected, the responses were amusing. 'Whaaaatttt?' and ' You never took us to Applebee's on family vacations!' From our son-in-law: 'Eating good in the neighborhood??' (We always refused to take our kids to chains on vacation because we could do that at home).

The next morning, we returned our rental car at 4 a.m. to the Portland Airport (newly renovated and very nice!) The car rental facility is part of to the airport, so extremely convenient. What's not convenient is when you checked in online at 3:30 a.m. and discover once you are getting tags for your luggage that the first leg of your flight has been cancelled. As we arrived so early, we were able to get another flight from Portland to Seattle, but AI had put us on a flight leaving 12 hours later and cancelled our second leg (Seattle to Cleveland). The very helpful Alaska Airline employee was able to get us back on the second flight, but not the original seats (I had booked the exit row seats for more money). As the flight was full, we got stuck in middle seats, and mine was particularly bad, but that will be in an upcoming Wacky Wednesday post. 

Not a great ending to the trip, but overall, we were very happy to have made it. Who hates flying as much as we do? Favorite waterfall you've ever visited?

Comments

  1. That's great that you got to see Multnomah Falls. It's certainly the most spectacular waterfall I've ever been to (I took a visitor from California out there to see it years ago). As I recall, the air feels misty even quite some distance from it, because of the huge amount of spray it generates.

    Back when I used to fly I didn't mind it much, but if the airlines are now using AI to mess up people's reservations, that would be a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multnomah Falls is one of a kind, and I was so happy to see it in person. Yes to the mist! I can only assume it was AI because it all happened so fast between the flight being cancelled and then rebooking us on two different flights, all within a few minutes. The last time we had a first leg get cancelled, our second leg was not cancelled, and it caused all sorts of issues with TSA and having to change the airport we were making a connection from. You can't win.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this was quite the roller coaster, Bijoux! First I was like "OMG I want to go on this hike" because it is so beautiful! All the falls! And then I was super happy you got the trolley. In recent years (actually probably 15 years, who is counting) Lake Louise has a shuttle service from the highway, and it really improved the insane traffic/ parking around the Chateau, which is the start of any number of beautiful hikes. It never pays NOT to take the shuttle, unless you somehow get to the Chateau at 5 in the morning. Hooray for trollies and shuttles! I love the lush landscaping.
    Now...I laughed about the Applebee's. Sometimes you just have to eat! I feel like you're going to be enduring some jokes from the family about this for a while to come (lol, son-in-law!)
    BUT ARGH THE FLIGHT STUFF. Why is there always something? Ugh, especially when you pay extra for the better seats and then end up squashed. Also, why all the cancellations??? So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multnomah introduced a timed entrance, which we did not have to do, using the trolley system. I've read how Lake Louise is packed these days, but I still want to go! Good to know there's a shuttle service. I got salmon and broccoli at Applebee's, and I was quite happy with my meal. We were just so hungry! I did get my extra money back from our original flight seats, but I had to make the calls to do it. Wouldn't you think in this age of technology/AI that it would be an automatic refund? They always make the victim do the work!

      Delete
    2. Go to Lake Louise off-season, i.e., not June-September! It's much quieter in the shoulder seasons.

      Delete
  3. OMG, when that first photo loaded, I literally gasped in AWE! As you said...truly MAGNIFICENT! And I bet the sound of them was incredible. I love the sound of rushing water.

    That photo of the moss-drapped tree reminded me of some of the trees I've seen while living in Orlando, Florida.

    What I also love about some of these photos are the glorious mountains you can see in the background. And wow! the Columbia River is stunning.

    And WOW, WOW, WOW...the Multnomah Falls took my breath away. I too have a fear of heights, so I've not doubt I too would have hesitated crossing that bridge.

    I laughed at you "Applebee's" paragraph LOL! Do you know that I have never been to an Applebee's?!?

    "The very helpful Alaska Airline employee was able to get us back on the second flight.." --- Well, thank God for that. However, like you, I would not have enjoyed getting stuck in a middle seat. And that's happened to me before. I hate the middle seat. I'd rather sit on the WING of a plane than take that seat.

    FABULOUS post, my friend. I really enjoyed these past posts; sharing your summer adventures. So glad you had a great one!

    Enjoy your weekend! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of the rushing water, too. And isn't it fun to see mountains when you don't live anywhere near them?? Yes, the Columbia River is stunning. We couldn't believe how big it was and that the color was so blue. It was a bit scary on the bridge, but I did it! So proud! LOL!

      I can't believe you've never eaten at an Applebee's! The food is actually good for the price. You just have to accept that it's not locally grown and comes from the back of a SYSCO truck! LOL!
      We were happy with Alaska Airlines overall except for the cancellation. The employee that helped us said there was a last-minute strike by the carrier's flight attendants. I don't really understand the whole carrier/subsidiary business.

      I have one more trip to share, but I'll try to do it in one post! Have a great weekend! XO

      Delete
  4. I absolutely detest flying post 9/11. It's like a prison intake: Stand in a line! Put your stuff here. Take off your shoes. Walk through the metal detector; hands up above your head! Step out here to be wanded (for some reason known only to Them); no liquids over a minuscule amount, etc. I saw where you no longer have to remove footwear at present--small mercy.

    BUT! Your photos are gorgeous and I'm so glad you got to kick another item off your bucket list. I was in Salem, Oregon, a hundred years ago on a (forced) family extended vacation and have pretty good memories of it. Overall, I liked Oregon very much.

    I chuckled about your Applebee's meal. Been there when things went awry as well. At least you found someplace to eat, finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prison intake is a very apt description of flying! I don't understand why they have to yell at you while you're waiting to go through the detector. I'm already on edge and my pulse is at 120. The yelling doesn't help. We did not have to remove our shoes, so that was nice. Last year, my carry on was flagged . . . for an apple! I had looked online previously, and it said fruit was fine. Flying is a necessary evil if you want to go across our country. We are not driving to the west coast. We really enjoyed our trip, loved everything we did and saw, but won't go back. It was a one and done for us.

      Delete
  5. The waterfalls and trail are so nice. I don't like heights either but that bridge by the waterfall looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridge in front of the waterfall is such a neat sight to see.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the ending to your trip ...
    However, fabulous waterfalls and wonderful scenery... I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    Enjoy your weekend ... it's raining in my part of the UK ... but we need it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is no fun for your holiday weekend, but when you need it, you need it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I love waterfall hunting! Our time was limited on our trip, but we also did get to see Multnomah Falls. Jason was exhausted and took a nap in the RV while my daughter and I hiked up the trail. It was raining the day we went, so we only made it halfway up before we were irritated and decided to turn around and head back to the car.

    It's funny the same thing happened on our flight home. We had booked our seats, but somehow everything changed and it was sit wherever when we got on the plane. Since we were running late and were the last to board, we all 3 ended up in middle seats, which wasn't great since I get really sick on planes and need either a window seat to rest my head, or Jason to sit next to me so I can rest on his shoulder. But, we got home in one piece, so no complaints I guess.

    My favorite waterfalls are the ones in Iceland. Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss are probably my two favorite waterfalls that I've ever visited. Though Tennessee has a few pretty ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how it would be super irritating to walk that trail in the rain. Too many people and it really got narrow in some spots. But aren't you glad to have seen it in person?? I need to look back at your blog and find that trip. I don't know what it is about return flights home always turning into something. Last year, we got delayed in Chicago for like 5 hours when coming back from Vegas. Perfectly sunny day! And omg, I just realized we ate at an Applebee's in the airport - LOL! I can imagine the Iceland waterfalls are truly one of a kind and spectacular. What a trip that must have been! I've never seen any waterfalls in TN. I remember going to Nashville as a kid and some nature places, but no waterfalls.

      Delete
    2. Applebee's dining would have irritated me, but sometimes we just have to pivot. We also have a rule about not eating at chain restaurants on our travels. My daughter now gets ticked when traveling with friends and they want Taco Bell or something like that. She's always like "absolutely not! My parents taught me better than that!" LOL

      If you ever go back to TN, Ruby Falls is neat. It's an underground waterfall that you have to walk through a cave to get to. Rock City has a 100 foot waterfall off the side of the mountain that's really pretty. You can also see, I believe, 7 states from the top of that mountain. Well worth a visit. Thankfully the rain at Multnomah Falls did keep the tourists away, so the trek wasn't that bad. It was the wet and cold (we went in January) that made us throw in the towel. I imagine it gets congested on the warmer, sunnier days though.

      Delete
    3. Good for your daughter! Also, sounds like preventative medicine in not getting cyclospora!! LOL! Ok, now that you mention Rock City and the 7 states thing, that is where I went as a kid. Many, many years ago!

      Delete
  8. Well, you've certainly had a binge on waterfalls! I love waterfalls too. Glad you overcame your fear of heights to see the Multnomah Falls. A shame you couldn't eat at any local eateries. And another example of AI going rogue and messing up your flights. I've seen a lot of examples of AI screwing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of waterfalls for one trip! While writing this post, I had to look up a few of the waterfalls because I wanted to get their names correct. I used AI and one of the answers it gave me was completely wrong (gave me the name of a waterfall in Washington state), so I don't feel like I can trust it. I've found other erroneous information while researching for trips in the past.

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed all the waterfall photos, Bijoux, especially as we are going on an American Cruise Lines riverboat tour and expect to see some of these with a stop at your favorite - Multnomah Falls. Thanks for the heads up about the renovated Portland, OR, airport as we are flying into that one, thankfully on a direct flight from Boston. And, we are also flying on Alaska Airlines so hopefully no mishaps like the one you went through as we have to change plans in ID on the return flight to NH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you will get to see Multnomah Falls! It's a true wonder. We were really impressed with PDX. Everything was nice and new and the employees working there were very helpful and friendly. Even the TSA workers were making jokes with us, which was the exact opposite as anything we've ever encountered. Many of the Alaska Airlines employees are from Hawaii and they are always the most gracious and kind people we have ever met.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful you got to see all those waterfalls! Multnomah is one I have also seen many pictures of! I bet it was really cool to be on that bridge! Too bad about the restaurants and your flight but sounds like a great vacation overall! There is a waterfall in the UP called Bond Falls that is so beautiful and you can walk a trail next to the river leading up to it that has a bunch of mini falls along it. In the spring with the melting snow the falls is so big it spills over the stairs leading to the top of it! It's my favorite falls so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great things about the UP. Bond Falls sounds incredible!

      Delete
  11. First of all, I hope I don't miss that Wacky Wednesday post. Secondly, my goodness, what glorious falls! I, too, am not good with heights. That bridge looked frightening, to be sure. Impressed you did part of the way. Eek! Well done with the research and the trolley. ~Ilsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That trolley was a lifesaver! We'd still be there, looking for parking! I was proud of myself for crossing the bridge, but getting all the way to the top of the falls wasn't going to be happening for me.

      Delete
    2. I'd be right there with you sister, as far as making it to the top. Just thinking about ... bluh.

      Delete
  12. Why do I now have the "I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs song in my head? That's not even applebees! But close, right? I'm laughing at you having to stoop to Applebee's on vacation---but one must eat, right? (I totally get this, I don't love chain either)

    The photos! So many waterfalls!! Gorgeous, and I'm proud of you, as I also have an irrational fear of heights- it's terrifying! You did so good and saw so many. Great job using the shuttle and surely that makes you feel a little bit superior for making a good travel choice. HAHA.

    AI made your travel changes? WHAT THE HELL? What a bummer! Sorry the departure was such a cluster, but travel usually comes with some snafus. Not a fan of flying commercial, but what else can we do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I do not seem to know the song you are referring to, and I'm not looking that ear worm up! My oldest daughter was all about Applebee's, back in the day. When we drove across Wyoming, she famously said, "I feel so sorry for these people. They don't even have an Applebee's!" We've never let her live that down.

      Thank you for being proud of me. I still can't believe I walked across that bridge, but at least it was a short one. And yes, there always seems like snafus await us while traveling. I'm just guessing about the AI because it seemed to happen simultaneously to the flight being cancelled.

      Delete
  13. These photos are incredible! What a fabulous trip! You guys really know how to celebrate. I only ate Applebee's once and I wasn't impressed, but I know all about hangry.

    Tough business about the flight home, but you still had a great time. I am terrified of flying so I hate big time.

    My family visited Yosemite National Park several years ago and the waterfalls were beautiful. And then, of course, there was Niagara Falls, which I visited during a trip to Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Applebee's was a last resort, but it is fine for what it is. Flying is a necessary evil when traveling cross country. We weren't going to drive to Portland! Yosemite is on my bucket list. My oldest went there as part of their honeymoon trip and they loved it. I've been to Niagara Falls twice. If it wasn't such a tourist trap, I'd go back because it's not that far of a drive for us.

      Delete
  14. The pictures are all amazing so I can imagine how stunning it all was in real life. Too bad you weren't able to find a local place to eat other than Applebee's, but I totally get being hangry and needing food. Sorry the flight home wasn't what you signed up for but it does sound like all and all it was a great trip. Happy September my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori. Yes, the waterfalls were amazing to see in real life. At this point, we expect there to be an issue whenever we fly. It's sad as it didn't used to be like this.

      Delete
  15. Waterfalls!! Those are my favorite. Whenever we went to the Smokies, we’d always drive around looking for the roadside waterfalls. There’s just something so magical about stumbling across one. So many beautiful pictures here, my friend. 💜

    We try not to go to chain restaurants when we’re on vacation, too, and usually seek out the local places. But I’m always up for a trip to Applebee’s, especially since they don’t exist around here anymore.

    And you definitely don’t have to tell me about travel hell. I hear all about it from Anna every week. Summer is definitely the worst season to fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love finding waterfalls as well. It makes the hike so much more worth it! I can't believe you don't have Applebee's anymore?? We lost all our Dairy Queens and TCBY, for some reason. And don't get me started on The Sizzler - a childhood favorite! I need to hear some Anna stories. They must be wild!

      Delete
  16. Such great views and photos. Amazing. Look at all of those waterfalls. Wow. Well done on the parking spot/trolley reservation plan. I would be the person that showed up unaware of parking spot shortages. The Applebee's story is pretty funny. Bummer that you couldn't find a local spot, but goodness - we need to eat when we need to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ocd when it comes to trip planning. Like, I spend six to a year planning these trips. I don't know why I didn't look into food options between our hotel and the park, but I figured it was Portland and how hard could it be?? We were just too hungry to wait for a better option!

      Delete
  17. What gorgeous photos! Walking behind South Falls and looking up at Multnomah in person are true bucket-list moments.

    The family roasting you for "Eating good in the neighborhood" at Applebee’s is hysterical—vacation hunger makes rules fly right out the window. As for your questions: yes, modern air travel is an absolute test of patience, and Multnomah really is one of the most stunning waterfalls in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the good old days when flying was fun. Sighhhhh….
      The family roasts me a lot 🤣 I hope you have a great holiday weekend!

      Delete
  18. So, just to get this out of the way first. I'd have been at the car preparing a picnic with wonderful food and drink for when you came back down from all of this craziness, okay?? You wouldn't of had to be eating good in the neighborhood! Lol.

    The pictures are breathtaking! And for anyone who's ever been to a waterfall before, that feeling, those sounds, the smells, the mist. You get all of that from your photos. I am so happy you were able to make this trip and cross Multnomah Falls off your bucket list. How cool is that?
    You should be so, so proud of yourself. I'm so proud of you!

    In Idaho, my favorite falls are the Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls, Idaho. They're amazing. So many cool things about them. I love that they light up in May but only in May, it's an event and a must see.
    Fun fact - Shoshone Falls is on the Snake River and the Snake River runs into the Columbia River. So, you were seeing a little bit of Idaho on your travels. Lol
    Fun fact 2 - Shoshon Falls is taller than Niagra Falls. In fact, it's called the Niagra Falls of the West. :)

    Okay, now let's talk about that stripmall visit. - So, you were at the strip mall, you SAW aaaaalllllllll of the motorcycles out front. Let me repeat, a strip mall, alllllll the motorcycles... And you guys went in anyway???
    Don't do that ever again! You could've been fucking killed! Lol.

    Applebee's... I'm so sorry you had to eat there but honestly, I think that's just your restaurant priviledge showing homie. Ain't nothin wrong with eatin' good in the hood, okay? Lolololololol
    Applebee's is okay in a pinch. It's not like you were forced to eat at White Castle! Lol.

    Your flight home - ugh. Exactly why I don't like flying anymore and I have to pop some Xanax before I get anywhere close to the gate. I fly business class or first class because I can't be squished in the back of the plane or the middle or whatever because I have this irrational fear that there's not enough oxygen back there and, I don't like people being that close to me and touching me. Not even lying. I've flown economy before but once I went first class I stayed. I don't eat the food but they do have watered down drinks. I usually get seat A in the front of the plane. It's only one seat. Lolololol. And, I get to get on first. Lol.

    Are you happy to be home? Vacations are always bittersweet for me. I don't want to leave but I need to be home.

    Great post as always and beautiful, gorgeous pictures, including the ones of you. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi! Thank you for being so proud of me! LOL! I had heard of Shoshone Falls but didn't know where it was. I'm mad now because we were once in that area and I didn't know about it. We drove from SLC up to Pocatello and stayed one night in Idaho Falls. Those falls were not impressive - haha! But it was on our way to Jackson Hole. That is cool that's it's considered the Niagara Falls of the West. We have the Grand Canyon of the East at Letchworth Park in NY state, which is really nice and has some big waterfalls, too.

      Strip malls here do not attract nefarious people. More like boring people because it's all Jimmy John's and dry cleaners! We were not concerned until we walked in and everyone was staring at us! It was weird, and not Portland weird! But yeah, Applebee's will do in a pinch and at least the menu is huge, so you know you'll find something to eat.

      I have never flown business class or first class. My husband has occasionally flown on the corporate jet and he said it never gets old. I was so happy to be home (the PNW trip was in June - I'm just a slow blogger) and we had another trip in July to Michigan!!! I will write about that trip soon. XO

      Delete
  19. Waterfalls are my favorite thing in the Columbia River Gorge! For what it's worth, the hike to the top of Multnomah Falls is kind of a letdown. You don't see anything but a little water spilling over the rocks; most of the rest is hidden by trees or otherwise not visible.

    My favorite waterfall is actually on the Washington side of the river, and technically not in the gorge. Falls Creek Falls is amazing...and MUCH less crowded than the Oregon waterfalls. It's the definition of a hidden gem.

    Sorry you got stuck at Applebee's! But I guess at that point you guys were so hungry, even the riblets sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear that we didn't miss much by not going to the top of Multnomah Falls. Now that I think about it, being at the top of a waterfall is not a great vantage point. Hidden gems are always fun finds. We were excited to discover Buttermilk Falls in the Cuyahoga Valley Natl Park about a decade ago, by going off the beaten path. Applebee's has a big menu, so there really is something for everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment